kolsch yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckstout

Reaction score
Ok I was wondering if I could use the White Labs Kolsch strain and come close on a Rouge Dead Guy Ale, I plan on brewing this weekend or next.
Thanks in advance for any info

Oh and if you can only get White Labs yeast to use for a Rouge Dead guy, I would suggest a clean American ale yeast like WLP001.

Bheher said:
Oh and if you can only get White Labs yeast to use for a Rouge Dead guy, I would suggest a clean American ale yeast like WLP001.

The guys from rogue recommend using wlp051 California ale v is you can't get pacman. Flavor profile is pretty close, but it doesn't attenuate as much. Good luck with your clone dude

Thanks, im gonna try and find wlp051, if i cant get that im sure ill be able to get wlp001 or 1056

No US-05 at lhbs, i may give bottle harvesting a shot, never done that before, i found a couple good videos after your post thanks, should be fun.

Just finished pouring some Bell's 2 hearted into a starter.....My first try as well. From what I've read, it isn't all that hard. Just start small, and work your way up over a few days.:mug:

No US-05 at lhbs, i may give bottle harvesting a shot, never done that before, i found a couple good videos after your post thanks, should be fun.

Just finished pouring some Bell's 2 hearted into a starter.....My first try as well. From what I've read, it isn't all that hard. Just start small, and work your way up over a few days.:mug:

harvesting's pretty easy and a lot of fun. just make sure you take it slow and start out with a very small, low grav starter and step it up. i wrote down the whole process here in my blog. :mug:

whitehause said:
Cheers, i going to start the step up saturaday
NordeastBrewer77 said:
harvesting's pretty easy and a lot of fun. just make sure you take it slow and start out with a very small, low grav starter and step it up. i wrote down the whole process here in my blog. :mug:
Thanks, great blog love the shirt. For one bomber u think i should start say 100mls and 10mg

Thanks, great blog love the shirt. For one bomber u think i should start say 100mls and 10mg

100 ml would work, but you wanna make those first few steps lower gravity, i cut the DME in half for the first two steps, so 1g per 20 ml instead of the 1g per 10 ml. BTW, thanks, my wife got me that shirt for xmas, f'n love it! :mug:

Finaly got a chance to brew today, with some pacman yeast harvested from a shakespere stout, will be fermenting at 62 so I hope it wont be to high

Might have underpitched the pacmen took about 24-36 hours to goin looks like a pillow top compared to my heather ales edinburgh strain goin

Back