Kolsch FAIL, or tastebuds WIN?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDirt

Reaction score
Just racked to kegs after 6 wks in fermenters and my Kolsch tastes strangely like... Sapporo? :confused:

62-64for a couple weeks and di-a rest at 68 for another week before secondary.

/\
l
l
l
l
WTF?

from the Wyeast website:

Flocculation: low
Attenuation: 73-77%
Temperature Range: 56-70° F (13-21° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 10% ABV

Um, yeah. Kolsch is pretty much as close to a lager yeast you can get with an ale yeast. Cold temps for fermentation and crisp and clean is what you get. I do mine around 60F.

Kolsch yeast needs to ferment hot, like 75-95* is good. 2 weeks at 64 and a week at 68 might not get you as clean of a fermentation. Kolsch is a modified red wine strand, much different than our beer strands.

Did you hit your FG? Maybe you have too much yeast still in suspension?

I would bring that secondary up to 90ish and see what happens.

I think you're talking about the dupont saison strain. which is apparently derived from a red-wine yeast. and needs high temps. klosch is opposite sides of the spectrum.

Kolsch yeast needs to ferment hot, like 75-95* is good. 2 weeks at 64 and a week at 68 might not get you as clean of a fermentation. Kolsch is a modified red wine strand, much different than our beer strands.

Did you hit your FG? Maybe you have too much yeast still in suspension?

I would bring that secondary up to 90ish and see what happens.

What did you smoke this morning?

62-64for a couple weeks and di-a rest at 68 for another week before secondary.

The fermentation temp was fine. No need for a diacetyl rest at that temp. What was your temperature for your secondary and for how long? I've used the same yeast as you did and had no problems. I hit my gravity of 1.012 within 2 weeks and transfered to my secondary at 35 for 4 weeks and bottle conditioned for 4 weeks and have a fine tasting kolsch. Give it some time and it should be ok.

Ya I agree with the above post. Give it some time. Cold condition if you still can. I have learned dropping the temp with that yeast for 3-4 weeks will give you a nice clean crisp taste and great clarity.

Okay, I have a keg in in the frige on gas now and it's quickly getting much better. Another couple weeks and we should be fine.

you know, now that you mention the sapporo similarity, i notice it too. not necessarily a bad thing.

Latest posts

Back