kitchenaid to drive proper malt mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinnerstick

Reaction score
i know kitchenaid makes a mill attachment, this fact confounds internet searches on the topic, i'm not interested in that. i use a jsp maltmill and thought the auxiliary connection on a kitchenaid would be perfect to deliver the power to turn it. i didn't have much luck with my drill. i found a couple of hacks online to make a coupling from the auxiliary port to the post on the roller, has anyone done this??

Interesting idea. I haven't seen anyone do it yet. It may be a bit on the slow side. When I use my meat grinder attachment, at full speed, it's not super fast. Kitchenaid specs are between 50-220 RPM, and I think that is at the paddle head, which is geared, and not the attachment head, which is direct drive.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what-rpm-do-you-run-your-grain-mill-222133/

Alot of responses are between 200-500 RPM.

good point. i'm trying to find online what RPM range is available at the hub but haven't found it yet. i figure when i hand crank my mill i probably go around 120 rpm, so if i could get that i'd be happy.

Back