Kitchen Sink Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlbois1

Reaction score
Well... this started off as a version of mloster's "Hop Bursted pale Ale". I thought I would add some invert sugar (bump up the gravity) and add some blackstrap molasses (add a little flavor and color). I also decided to sub Cascade for the Centennial (had a bunch of Cascade in the freezer).

Anyway I had 2 3lb. bags (bag in a box) of rice extract. Started the boil; I cut the first bag open and squeezed it in. I went to cut the second bag open and OOPS... it started pouring all over my kitchen sink and floor. I estimate I got 1 of the 3 lbs into the boil. So, of course I panicked...

I added 1lb of dark Belguim candi sugar crystals and some more molasses to make up for the lost rice syrup. So, after 2 weeks in the primary, 2 weeks in the secondary, and 2 weeks in the bottle, I tried some today, and...

It's really good. Hop profile is very good; a hoppy IPA without going overboard. And the malt base actually works too. Color is a nice golden brown. head is good too. it is somewahat sweet but not overly so. A happy accident for sure. The "Kitchen Sink" name is because of: 1) where most of my second bag of rice syrup went, and 2) because of the variety of fermentables (everything but the "kitchen sink").

Time - Addition
60 - 4lbs rice syrup, 1lb invert sugar, 1lb dark Belguim candi sugar crystals, 12oz buckwheat honey, 6oz blackstrap molasses, 8oz maltodextrin, .5oz Magnum hops
20 - .75oz Cascade hops, .75 Amarillo hops
15 - 1tsp irish moss, .5 yeast nutrient
10 - .75oz Cascade hops, .75 Amarillo hops
0 - 1oz Amarillo
DH (2 weeks in secondary) - 1oz Cascade, .5oz Amarillo

1014121714.jpg

The exact same thing happened to me with a pouch of mangrove jacks pear cider kit. I cut the top off the satchel which was standing up, took one step away and it fell over. Sticky mess bloody everywhere.

I feel your pain.

Looks like you still had a win though :)

Back