kitchen fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrausenBoy

Reaction score
Hi guys,
are there any hygienic contraindications (for you or for the beer) for using regular kitchen fridge (full of food) for lagering? I mean, beside the swmbo ;)

I've no space for a dedicated fridge so I was thinking I could use my regular fridge to ferment and lager a 1 gal batch.

What's your opinions?

Cheers

for lagering sure but fermentation temps need to be around 50 for a lager.

my understanding is you ferment a lager at 50-55 for about 2 weeks then you lager it at 35-40 for 2 months in secondary or keg.

No problems as long as the airlock is full of vodka or a Starsan solution. Spray the mouth of the jug and bung heavily with sanitizer before opening for SG readings.

Hi guys, thanks for your replies.

I know that the suggested low-limit temp for a lager yeast is about 45F, but I'm wondering if 38-40 F are way too low for a fermentation.

If I pitch a good/huge starter at 65 F and then move my 1 gal carboy to the fridge, will the fermentation begin?

Time is not a problem here. It's an experiment, so I don't care to wait for a very long fermentation.

Do you think it's worth trying, or it's just a waste of time and I should keep happily brewing my ales?

Cheers

Back