kinda forgot on kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApolloSpeed

Reaction score
I haven't brewed a beer in a year.... just getting back into it.

Doing a partialG pale ale with nottingham. Just finished, and I poured into the keg just a minute ago.

How much Co2 should I put on it and do I let it sit at room temp(65f) or just let it sit in the frig???

I just need a kegging refresher.

:mug:

carb in the fridge at serving preasure (12 psi) for 1 week or until carbed. Usually i start mine at 30 psi and vent to clear out any o2 as well as seal the lid, then i bring to serving pressure.

I was told by another local homebrewer that you should turn it up to 25-30 psi to seal the lid like the previous post said then leave it at 25-30 for a couple of days until it becomes carbd then bring it down to serving psi 5-12 psi either will work:mug:

NorthernBrewer is talking about forcing the carbonation to complete in a quicker time frame. This can be accomplished by shaking the keg, or keeping the carbonation at a higher level than you want to serve it at for a couple days. Do some searches on this forum or the web for force carbing beer and you will find lots of information on how to do it. This is a valid way to carbonate, and done by many. If you have the week to 10 days it is easier just to refrigerate it and set it to serving pressure and let it come up at it's own pace.

The problem with forcing the carb quicker is you can overshoot your target carb level. Then all you will do is tap foam and then you have to spend a couple days bleeding co2 out of solution to get it where you want it. It is a personal preference and like I said many do the quick carb including myself sometimes. It just takes a while to get the feel of how long to shake or leave at the higher co2 setting.

sounds like the easy no brainer way is to just keg it, put in frig, put 12psi on it, and let it sit.

Yes, the idiot proof method is to set it and forget it. I have attempted going to 25 or 30psi and shaking the keg but have never gotten very predictable or repeatable results. One batch is under carbed while the next is over carbed, so now I just let 12psi and time do the job for me.

Back