Kim Chee/ Kimchi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been buying it in the local Korean store, it's really good stuff. Nice on top of noodles, nice with anything really.

I don't bother making it, the chili flakes are called Gochugaru and are the roughest grade of gochugaru that they use for kimchi as it typically comes in three grades, from finest to roughest.

I too love kimchi. Kimchi is basically a fermented food....which surprisingly taste good! I think only Koreans know how to make a perfect kimchi. I tried it once but it wasn't tasting that good so I threw it and went to a Korean restaurant to eat it. But I would like to try the recipes from this thread.

So it's been almost two weeks. I jarred the batch and got a gallon and most of whatever size the smaller jar is. I love the flavor right now. It's just mildly tangy and all melded together nicely. The heat is mild but hangs around and sneaks up on you a bit.

It is going great with a bloody Mary and will soon go on my ramen.

Almost forgot how to post the pics. First time with this phone so I did something wrong. Hi Lorena. I'll see you soon. I haven't forgotten about you guys. I was actually behind your truck the other morning. Toby was on his way to the cottage...not sure who was with him.

4638-67217.jpeg

4641-67216.jpeg

I had some green beans that were going limp, so i pickled them with some spicy stuff.

Quart jar with a tablespoon of salt, bay leaf, red pepper flakes, black peppercorns, and some garlic cloves. Let it ferment for about a week and then shoved it in the fridge.

Super spicy, I'll pull one out to munch on and it clears my sinuses. I'm gunna keep using the hooch to make kimchee and various pickles, got some eggs and cabbage going right now.

SO I got about a gallon of this stuff left, sitting in my fridge.
I used to eat it everyday, as my mid-afternoon snack. It was great.
And then everyone at work starting complaining about the smell.
So now it just sits there, in my fridge.

I am become smelly-food-guy, destroyer of cubicles.

Back