New batch of carrots and new kimchi started!

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I just got a new batch of kimchi started, finding napa cabbage on sale! It’s warm in my house right now, and it’s fermenting beautifully. The carrots are slower (ginger, garlic, carrots, brine) but going well.
I added a lot of garlic and ginger to this kimchi, and went spicier than usual since I’m craving hot stuff lately!

D.B.Moody

Reaction score
I just got a new batch of kimchi started, finding napa cabbage on sale! It’s warm in my house right now, and it’s fermenting beautifully. The carrots are slower
I guess if you like to ferment things, you like to ferment things. How did you acquire a taste for kimchi? My younger son had a Korean housemate in grad school. He seems fairly normal apart from this acquired taste..

Dog House Brew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have found they Kimchi totally depends on the recipe. I’ve had it where I hated it. I’m cutting my cabbage tomorrow. I’ll be making mine and haven’t decided on my recipe. The recipient are quite varied. I have my authentic sea salt and pepper flakes, the rest I’m not sure.

OP
Yooper

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I guess if you like to ferment things, you like to ferment things. How did you acquire a taste for kimchi? My younger son had a Korean housemate in grad school. He seems fairly normal apart from this acquired taste..
Ha- well, about a hundred years ago when I was in the Army and in intelligence school, some of the guys had been posted to Korea and had Korean wives. They’d bring their lunch since we were quite a ways from the mess hall, and the stench was disgusting. I would have to leave the room or ask them to please go outside! Then, little by little, I’d sit closer. Eventually, I tried a bite. Then I became an addict and really got into Korean food.

Unfortunately, the Army sent me to Germany and not Korea so I didn’t have it again for years and years. But I still remembered loving kimchi and other Korean dishes, and once the internet came along with places to buy what I needed and information on how to do it, I started making Asian favorites including kimchi.

I guess it’s an acquired taste, like black olives or something!

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I guess it’s an acquired taste, like black olives or something!
you mean black olives are an acquired taste? i thought it was a must?

and kimchi on sausage is good! and now i'm going to have to scoure the fermented foods forum to find your recipe for fermenting carrots! sounds like a cheap tasty way to get a boost of vitamin a! :mug:

Reaction score
This is something I would really like to do as well. Kimchee is great! I'd eat it twice a day easy if I could afford to pay $4 a day for those little jars. I had Kimchee made in the Philippines that I had a bad reaction to,so I thought I was suddenly allergic. Bought a jar here in Oregon after we returned,and all is well again. Must have been an anomaly.

Beer Viking

Beer Lover
Reaction score
I love kimchi! It would be great to see a picture of your finished stuff. How many days do you let it ferment for?

Deadalus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I tried making a couple batches myself. I really like Napa cabbage but I did not grow up eating Korean food so being able to lower the heat is helpful.

Barbarossa

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looks delicious! How long did you ferment it for?
Most of it for one full day. Need to taste it so that it does not become too sour. I keep one jar, like this one in the picture, out for two days and eat it last. It can still mature for up to four weeks in the fridge but it never last that long. And it's good at every steps.

Dog House Brew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I fermented my last batch for 6 days @ 62. Best batch I’ve ever made. It took me some time to learn how to grow the cabbage. I have one gallon jar left from Dec. I swear it is better now than when I made it.

BGBC

Reaction score
Agreed, I like to leave mine out to ferment for at least a week. Lasts in the fridge as long as I can keep from eating it. More funk the better.