Kilts and the brewers who wear them

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ever worn a kilt?

• Yes, I own one and have been known to wear it on occasion.

• Nope, never, nada, eva eva eva in a million years.

• Never have, but would like to given the chance.

• Yes and never will again.

• Yes, and I want to again.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have 2 kilts and wear them regularly. I have a Utilikilt for everyday use and my Clan Gunn kilt for formal occasions.

When I was single and still making good money I sent to the uk for a kilt. I havent the foggiest idea what the tartan is, but I know it is "authentic" and... green.

I usually wear it camping and at Aquabats concerts.

I figured I would dig this thread back up, I have picked up another two kilts, so I now have three. One is a black utilikilt, one is a blackwatch kilt in lighter weight acrylic fabric that is great in warmer weather, and the newest kilt is a 5 yard wool traditional kilt in isle of Skye tartan, I also seem to have collected several pair of fine wool hand knit kilt hose and a couple sporrans. For what it's worth, a rob Roy style sporran easily holds my refractometer, thermometer, and my timer.

If anyone is thinking of diving into the world of kilts, I highly recommend Rocky at usakilts.com fantastic customer service and quality goods.

Egad!! I loove men in kilts! They are very flattering to dang near every body type. Where are all the kilt guys? Not where I live, so I have to wait another month for the annual Scottish Festival to get my eyes full of hot.

Those Utilikilts should be mandatory uniform for carpenters, plumbers, landscapers...Window Washers!!

kilts rock!

I have two, one MacIntyre (USAKilts casual, which is awesome) which is my closest clan relation
the other is a generic tartan kilt I picked up for cheap.

here's the MacIntyre (with an uncharacteristically neat and trimmed beard :p)

P3271191 by queendana84, on Flickr

SharonaZamboni said:
Egad!! I loove men in kilts! They are very flattering to dang near every body type. Where are all the kilt guys? Not where I live, so I have to wait another month for the annual Scottish Festival to get my eyes full of hot.

Those Utilikilts should be mandatory uniform for carpenters, plumbers, landscapers...Window Washers!!

As my wife says: a man in a kilt is a man and a half!

I need to have shirts made that say
"Some men wear kilts, other men don't need the room"

I have a great kilt that I just made from a bunch of plaid I got at a fabric store that I wear to Ren Faires.
Then I have a real kilt made in Edinburgh from my McAllister clan tartan. But it was expensive, so I only wear it formally.
So I don't really have a kilt to just wear brewing or hiking. Utilikilts are just a wee bit steep for me.

I have a great kilt that I just made from a bunch of plaid I got at a fabric store that I wear to Ren Faires.
Then I have a real kilt made in Edinburgh from my McAllister clan tartan. But it was expensive, so I only wear it formally.
So I don't really have a kilt to just wear brewing or hiking. Utilikilts are just a wee bit steep for me.

Check out Celtic croft or USA kilts, they both offer economy kilts in either PV or acrylic. I love my acrylikilt from Celtic croft, it was like 59 dollars and looks great but is light enough to wear in the heat, machine washable too so I don't fret if I spill something on it.

My last name is Bishop but my mothers maiden name is Montgomery. I am very proud of my Scots heritage & as was said much early in the thread, everytime I hear the bagpipes, I feel a deep resonance within my soul as if it is some half remembered genetic memory. I currently do not have a kilt yet but plan on getting one in the old Montgomery tartan style.

When I was making more money than I knew what to do with (ie, when I was a bachelor pre-econocrash) I had a kilt shipped to me from Scotland. Mostly I wear it camping and at Aquabats concerts. Comfortable, warm, and roomy.
Here's the difference between money and brains, if you asked me what tartan it was, I would have to sheepishly say "erm... well... its green..." Helpful right?

To be fair, if there's a single drop of Scottish blood in me its from that kid on the bus in grade school. I cut my knuckles on his braces and loosened one of his teeth when he called my father a name.

I've always thought it would be cool to get a kilt. Never done it though. Family can trace back to the Gunn Clan although I'm not sure how reliable that is. Much more German than Scottish.

I've always thought it would be cool to get a kilt. Never done it though. Family can trace back to the Gunn Clan although I'm not sure how reliable that is. Much more German than Scottish.
Nice name :mug:

Got my kilt made while studying in Aberdeen. Grandmother was Maconaghie, which the majority of sources I checked traced to the Campbell Clan.

I, for one, find it's tough to keep cool with 8 yards of wool wrapped around your 'taters...

Here's a shot of me and my daughter, matching at this year's Highland Games. awwwaintwecute.
3nLNg.jpg

Love that pic, LandShark!

As for the rest of you knuckleheads...you just cost me $100! When you revived this thread, you reminded me of how gorgeous El Hubbo's legs would look and I went and ordered him one. Didn't want to pop for the Utilikilt, so went for a more economical but comparable one that he will enjoy. And...so will I. :D

The Highland Games are gonna be in my area here in a couple of weeks. I can't wait!

My daughter's was about $24, iirc :) Mine was closer to $400, plus another ~$150 for the sporan, belt, socks, and flashes. I had the kilt custom made, which added to the cost (It was great, little old kiltmaker Margot and I needed a translator despite the fact we were both speaking English!) "Off-the-peg" kilts tended to be around $200-$250.

ReverseApacheMaster said:
You all are paying some serious cash for those kilts. I'm pretty sure women do not pay that much for a plaid skirt.

There is far more workmanship that goes into a kilt verses a skirt. Heck if you have a kilt pleated to the sett or to the stripe can take many hours longer due to taper and internal structure.

My grandmother is currently sewing me a Utilikilt type number with box pleats. I plan to wear it more than pants this summer. It's about damn time I gave my boys some breeze.

Heck yeah.. I love my kilts. And wear them often. Utilikilts are great. I have a few more traditional ones as well. Things are damn comfy.

This was my wifes idea for a Christmas card a few years ago. the picture was on the front and the inside read.
"May what ever makes you happy, bring you peace this holiday season".
And yes, the Great Dane is wearing a pink Tutu.

_MG_1435-Edit-2.jpg

@azscoob Thanks for the link back in 2012 to USA kilts. I'm looking at them now.
I have 3 Utilikilts and my 8 Yard Tartan. Love the Utilikilts, but the Tartan makes more of a statement. This will give me something to wear when when I want to be formal, but not Formal and I don't have to worry about wrecking my wool kilt.

You mean when making a Nut Brown Ale?

Sorry to do this to you guys, buy this is for @SharonaZamboni Hope you like, and this is not in the wrong thread. :eek:

Kilt brewing.jpeg

I like brewing on a chilly morning while kilted, I get an occasional whisp of heat off the burner right up my kilt, warms the boys nicely.

I recently acquired a new kilt in the Albannach tartan from Rocky at USAkilts. It's my new go to kilt for daily wear. I think I was wearing it in my Brew-n-A interview.

Back