Kilts and the brewers who wear them

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ever worn a kilt?

• Yes, I own one and have been known to wear it on occasion.

• Nope, never, nada, eva eva eva in a million years.

• Never have, but would like to given the chance.

• Yes and never will again.

• Yes, and I want to again.

Results are only viewable after voting.
HuntlyCastle1.jpg

Gordoncrest.jpg

Gordoncoatofarms.jpg

Meinkilt.jpg

I'm trying to get some more pictures up. Just got my dress Gordon and my free Black Stewart in. Sweet... Only took 8 months but for $90 and this nice it was very worth it, especially with the free one for their screw ups. I still recommend The Frugal Corner for the price and quality (not seeing anything but makes me biased), but definitely not customer support. I'll post as soon as I got em'.

Glad you got a kilt ChshreCat, lets see that thing!:rockin:

Nothing's different except for the patterns (Tartan). The English as a culture really didn't, since they were a amalgam of different peoples (Brittons/Anglo-Saxons/Normans/etc), even more so than the other islanders. The Scots/Irish/Welsh/some others are Gaelic peoples "mostly" and their cultures are the kilt(like) wearers. This is a very broad and very "vanilla" answer, but basically when you hear kilt, think gaelic. But... Romans/Goths/Visigoths/Gauls/Franks/Germans/Vikings/Egyptians/etc... all wore kiltlike garmets, they just aren't what comes to mind when you think of "men in skirts."

Now-a-days Scots and the Welsh are the clan kilted tartans, Irish are both clan and county tartans with solid colors being worn as well on all sides. (Generally/stereotypically that is.)

I've researched my family history, and it's a mess. English and English/German on moms side and Scottish/Czech and Irish/German on dads. What kind of a kilt for this mess?

I've researched my family history, and it's a mess. English and English/German on moms side and Scottish/Czech and Irish/German on dads. What kind of a kilt for this mess?

I'd say to pick one. Irish or Scottish.

I'm German, Irish, Finn and Norwegian. But the Irish part of my family was from Scotland before Ireland. So I have info on both the Irish and the old Scottish clans and I honor that.

I bought mine when SWMBO & I went to scotland. I wear it all the time. My sporran is a little customized to fit my me

Actually, the reason I got a kilt is because my wife wanted me to. I asked her why she wanted me to wear a kilt and she said it was for the same reason I wanted her to wear lingerie. So, I got a kilt. :D

I wear what I want, I just happen to own my clan and a (universal or public) Black Stewart. I would wear almost anything though. Don't like the loud McLoud or some others due to colors and brightness, but would wear almost anything. I'm wanting a solid variants of black for my next one. Something with maybe 100% down to 50% woven into a cool tartan pattern.

I too am Scottish/German/English/Irish/Welsh/Native American/other.... Wear anything you want that you think is cool. Technically, most of us don't own kilts. We own "kilt-like" garments since they aren't made of 100% Scottish wool. Mine are all non-wool acrylic and are easy to wash beer out of.:mug:

One of the guys here (from Ethiopia) went to Ireland to visit his sister and was thinking of buying one and stopped in a store. He was with his brother in law who never owned a kilt either. They went in and were holding them up to see how they would look when the woman sales lady came over and asked them if they were interested in buying one and they said yes. She then explained to them they were ladies kilts. I wish I were there to see that!

Well, the girlfriend couldn't help it any longer. She likes mine so much she bought a SportKilts Mini. I will refrain from specifics, but yeah that's gonna get her Frakked repeatedly by me. Especially with the knee high Docs she just bought! Damn I am a lucky man! She has beautiful kids and they have fricken Goddess Mom as far as I'm concerned, but the mini Campbell has me at a loss of expression. My tounge gets dry and my lips stick to my teeth from forgetting to close my mouth when I stare at her in it. Now, I have always had a thing for girls with nice legs in skirts, but... as they say in Spaceballs, "We've gone to plaid!" I'm gonna need a heavier sporran if you get my drift...wood! ;)

Well, the girlfriend couldn't help it any longer. She likes mine so much she bought a SportKilts Mini. I will refrain from specifics, but yeah that's gonna get her Frakked repeatedly by me. Especially with the knee high Docs she just bought! Damn I am a lucky man! She has beautiful kids and they have fricken Goddess Mom as far as I'm concerned, but the mini Campbell has me at a loss of expression. My tounge gets dry and my lips stick to my teeth from forgetting to close my mouth when I stare at her in it. Now, I have always had a thing for girls with nice legs in skirts, but... as they say in Spaceballs, "We've gone to plaid!" I'm gonna need a heavier sporran if you get my drift...wood! ;)

Pictures? Only because I want to see the kilt. Seriously, why else would we want to see pictures.

You know it! ;) I'll post some good ones for you guys. I feel my pictures have sucked since I had to take them all. I always take my own pictures in my family, very sadly. Glad I met a chic that digs me being in pictures, and a kilt for that matter. I will be wearing something underneath mine though. I will be wearing my boots and socks ;).

LOL, she's so cute. She already took off their logo and made the straps tighter, they accidentally sent her a medium and she was the largest size for small so.... She's my little Celtic-ChickaFräu. That's what you get when you mix Scots-Irish, Chickasaw Indian, and German all into five feet and one inch of insatiable woman. ;) I have never met a woman with a sexual appetite as large as mine, until now! I'm stayin' and nothing can alter that course, lol. She buys any more skirts of any kind, and I may need a vasictomy to prevent us having a tribe one day! I am after all a Celtic-Herrokee (Scots-Irish, German, and Cherokee Indian), tribes are kinda our things.

Woohoo! I know you guys like pictures so here you go. Had the chance this weekend to get some good pictures with the little lady's help.

Here's a mini-Ancient Campbell. She's so cute... chose a battle axe as her kilt pin, lol. Hmmmmm.
100_1818_2.jpg

I love my Dress Gordon! I think it should ROCK:rockin: for when I will be wearing a lot more black.
100_1810.jpg

She's so tiny... I'm 5'9". We both hate taking fake smile pictures, can't you tell?
100_1809_2.jpg

Ahh, yes, a Black Stewart. I love this kilt. It has a thin line of electric blue you can just make out around where the colored lines meet. I liked it because it had a really good Texas Tech look to it. Now, I see it will go with more stuff than my other two will.
100_1816_2.jpg

Every semester we have a Rugby Kilt Formal where we go out to dinner and then out to the bar. All the guys wear a kilt, dress shirt, tie and jacket, and all of the females wear dresses.

Niiiiiiice!!! Have any pics? You could always crop and just show the kilt, lol. I love kilted weddings. We get kilted, married, and then tilted.:drunk:

Just ordered my Kilt from The Frugal Corner. The 16oz has a very limited clan selection so I went with a Black Watch tartan with Douglas Flashes. Looking forward to wearing it when I brew. :mug:

I am a Welshman, father and mother( she was Welsh and British ) , 99% of Tartans come from Scotland, Bowen being one of only a few outside Scotland to have a family tartan . I haven't brewed in it yet , but have played golf in it, and quite a few soccer(football) knock-a-bouts.

Alright, it's been a while longer and I wonder with all the new members if we have any more kilties on the forum? If so, vote in the poll and show us a picture of you in your kilts.

Lots of new members since my last thread bump. Any of you new members kilt wearers? I'm still rocking mine when I get the chance outside of the home, but love to wear it at home a lot of the time.

Back