kilimanjaro clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranceamerica

Reaction score
when I was in tanzania, I sampled some of the local beers - because of what's available locally, many of the beers were made with a heavy dose of corn starch to bulk up the alcohol and keep the beers light and refreshing. It gave a strange flavor, as you can imagine...but oddly enough I find myself interested in making a batch.

This would be a PM batch for me...can anyone point me to a recipie for something like this? It would be an ale (in my case) and so probably not really a clone, (because kilimanjaro is a lager) but I'm shooting for a light ale, about 5% alcohol, using enough corn starch to taste it, but not enough to ruin it.

Let's call this "malt price jump" corn ale

TerapinChef said:
By corn starch you really mean corn sugar right?

no, i really do mean corn starch. it gives a strange dry and crisp flavor. not sure I like it, but you could consider it an acquired taste ;) I assume they are bumping the amount of fermentable sugars using what is locally available - not a lot of locally available barley, but maybe plenty of corn (????)

I'll have to experiment :rockin:

Corn starch cannot be fermented by regular yeast. I do use raw wheat for lambic to get some wheat starch but that's because Brettanomyces and lactic producing bacteria like starch.
Good luck with the beer.
BTW, I have a friend that climbed MT. Kilimanjaro!

Latest posts

Back