Kickstarter sucks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy_Bugger said:
Prairie Ales out of Oklahoma recently funded their new brewery with kickstarter money. They got distribution with Shelton Brothers before they even had their own brewery. They make really good beer! They make mostly saisons that probably wouldn't score well at a homebrew contest, but get rave reviews from people who paid $15 for a bomber.

Now more people will get to enjoy their beer and more people will be employed simply because there were some people who wanted to help them get started. I have a hard time seeing the downside here.

Panhandling is when someone gets in your face and begs or coerces money from you. That's not what Kickstarter does.

I do love me some prairie, but I'd rather they had a membership program.

I went on Kickstarter earlier after reading this thread and found some cool products. Ended up spending $30 for a plastic lid that turns a mason jar into a coffee cup and a knit koozie to go around the jar and protect my hands from aforementioned hot coffee... Yup, I'm a dirty hipster. I have fixie bikes, and love overpriced stuff. Sorry.

So, I can donate my money to the local little league or shelter......or some asshat that has invented a mason jar lid/coffee cup? Who the hell would want that? It's panhandling. Or at the very least, uncooth. Just MHO.

Hammy71 said:
So, I can donate my money to the local little league or shelter......or some asshat that has invented a mason jar lid/coffee cup? Who the hell would want that? It's panhandling. Or at the very least, uncooth. Just MHO.

Worst. Hipster. Ever. ;)

I went on Kickstarter earlier after reading this thread and found some cool products. Ended up spending $30 for a plastic lid that turns a mason jar into a coffee cup and a knit koozie to go around the jar and protect my hands from aforementioned hot coffee... Yup, I'm a dirty hipster. I have fixie bikes, and love overpriced stuff. Sorry.

You one of those guys who listen to their ipod, drink Starbucks coffee, and camp out for "occupy wall street" complaining about corporate america?

30$ on a plastic lid...for a mason jar??

Im sorry, toss that 30 in a charity fund!

Damn panhandling little league. Like it doesn't cost enough to register your kid to play, get your wife to volunteer her time in the snack shack, pay 6 bucks for the .75 hot dog and then contribute to the "fundraisers".

And the entrepreneurs are the panhandlers? Judgment is a funny thing.

PS, I know what I'm talking about. I coach. Little league is a FOR PROFIT venture who knows you'll pony up just about your last dollar if it's "for the kids".

PS, I think the folks b!tching about kickstarter doth protest too much. Just skip the website. Like it's some sort of blight on human existence or something. SMH...

I don't know what is more hilarious here. The people all bothered by a website on the internet that no one is making them visit or the all the people who THINK they know what the definition of panhandling is.

pan·han·dle
2 [pan-han-dl] verb, pan·han·dled, pan·han·dling. Informal.
verb (used without object)
1.to accost passers-by on the street and beg from them.
verb (used with object)
2. to accost and beg from.
3.to obtain by accosting and begging from someone.

So unless people are somehow accosting you on the internet with their kickstarter campaign then it's no more panhandling than people posting stuff in the For Sale forum.

PS, I think the folks b!tching about kickstarter doth protest too much. Just skip the website. Like it's some sort of blight on human existence or something. SMH...

Well, I've never been to the website. But, there have been a ton of people peddling their kickstarter "great ideas" on here and begging for people to go to the site and pony up. Beg/use your friends/family (if you must) for money, not total strangers.

And I too have dealt with Little League. It takes a lot of money and volunteers to make the thing work. The lights at the fields, the electricity at the snack shack, uniforms, insurance, umps, the cost of materials (food, gear, sand etc) are more than most people think. Let alone gas for the mowers for the 'volunteers' that mow the fields. I'll give my money to the local little league any day. Least I'm not throwing it away for some stranger's "pipe dream".

Once again, I'm not angry. I could care less if you like the idea of begging. That's OK. I guess my generation and my work ethic....tend to make me frown upon it. Pull yourself up by your own boot straps etc. I've never in my entire life begged someone for money and I don't intend to start now. :)

Well, I've never been to the website. But, there have been a ton of people peddling their kickstarter "great ideas" on here and begging for people to go to the site and pony up. Beg/use your friends/family (if you must) for money, not total strangers.

And I too have dealt with Little League. It takes a lot of money and volunteers to make the thing work. The lights at the fields, the electricity at the snack shack, uniforms, insurance, umps, the cost of materials (food, gear, sand etc) are more than most people think. Let alone gas for the mowers for the 'volunteers' that mow the fields. I'll give my money to the local little league any day. Least I'm not throwing it away for some stranger's "pipe dream".

Once again, I'm not angry. I could care less if you like the idea of begging. That's OK. I guess my generation and my work ethic....tend to make me frown upon it. Pull yourself up by your own boot straps etc. I've never in my entire life begged someone for money and I don't intend to start now. :)

You clearly are incapable or unwilling of understanding my perspective. I'm ok with that. I won't ad hominem like you do. The number of assumptions/insinuations you make about me in that one post says all I need to know about your willingness to consider my opinion.

Oh yeah. Smiley face!!!!!! :)

With some product ideas, timing is of the essence. If you have to work 30 years in your minimum wage factory job to fund $80k startup costs then you might miss the boat and the world may never see your invention.

I love gov't funded contests. And I love kickstarter. (though I have never bought anything).

I've never in my entire life begged someone for money and I don't intend to start now. :)
Try starting up a company that needs hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars just to startup, then come back and tell us how you feel about 'begging'. No work ethic or skimping will get the average Joe those kinds of funds; certainty not in time for anything even remotely technological. Kickstarter is full of successful examples where those kinds of funds were raised to support those kinds of startups.

Like I said before, I see no difference between seeking money @ kickstarter vs. from investors, VC's or banks. The only difference is the kickstarter crowd don't expect a voice in the management of funded companies. Speaking from personal experience, that is a huge boon. I've had VC's force one of my companies in a direction I would never have chosen, resulting in an outcome I did no desire (namely, licencing of our patents and cessation of our product pipeline).

Bryan

LOL and back in my days
we walked uphill BOTH WAYS
to the tipsy tavern
in bare feet
and had to drink beer
from wooden bowls with holes
and paid in pain with little gain...

People are donating money to complete stranger's goals and dreams!!! Isn't this an amazing and touching thing?? ITS ALMOST LIKE PEOPLE WANT TO SUPPORT AND HELP OTHER PEOPLE...WEIRD HUH? And these donators are doing this with the knowledge that they are not getting equal monetary gain in return...almost like the sheer joy from giving and supporting others is ENOUGH??? SO WEIRD!!!! MY MIND IS BLOWN...

Sucks for the people who broke their backs and banks to get their business up and running...but hey that's life.

I think those people
deserve to grumble high in their steeple
moan
groan
get cheese with their wine...
thats totally fine
We should learn from these few
who always pew pew
because we can then say
HEY...
I think there's an easier way

Sry for my Dr. Seuss of a brain I just couldn't refrain

They're saying it's harder than ever to go from rags to riches, though at the same time you see a lot of millionaire brats who did next to nothing to get there.

LOL and back in my days
we walked uphill BOTH WAYS
to the tipsy tavern
in bare feet
and had to drink beer
from wooden bowls with holes
and paid in pain with little gain...
Cry me a river. In MY days we had to walk to school, but f**k nekked, uphill both ways, through 5 feet of snow. Your not a man unless you've had to scrape ice off your naughty bits :ban:

ITS ALMOST LIKE PEOPLE WANT TO SUPPORT AND HELP OTHER PEOPLE
Didn't you get the memo - we're all supposed to be a bunch of heartless capitalists driven solely by the pursuit of the holy dollar, with naught a thought given to compassion, charity, desires or dreams.

I'd have made mine rhyme too, but I'm on my 3rd beer of the evening (a fantastic strong brown ale, brewed by our clubs webmaster, FWIW)

:mug:

Bryan

How about before you form your definite, be-all-end-all opinion, you actually go to the site, poke around it for a while, and see what some of the ideas there actually ARE, before condemning it as below your royal "my work ethic is better than yours" station.

Case in point: There's a daily webcomic I've been reading for the last 2-3 years. Said comic at one point featured a heavy/electronic metal band comprised of several main characters. As a little 'side project', the author of the comic started recording some music for the band. Every now and then, he'd post a new song. He had enough people ask him for a professionally recorded album that he checked in to it. More money than he could spend - but he still got requests. So he started a Kickstarter - said to produce the album, it would cost $9,500. That was his goal for the Kickstarter campaign. 10 days into the campaign, there is nearly $67,000 pledged. He's since added more "perks" - extra freebies for the donors, a vinyl release of the album, and if they hit $75k, the previous album will be professionally recorded and re-released. Without the Kickstarter, there would not be a professionally mastered album, but because of the Kickstarter, over 2,000 fans will get a CD they have requested for some time now.

(This particular campaign, any donation over $10 gets you a digital download, and all donations over $20 you get the CD. HARDLY begging.)

I guess my generation and my work ethic....tend to make me frown upon it. Pull yourself up by your own boot straps etc. I've never in my entire life begged someone for money and I don't intend to start now. :)

I don't see how using Kickstarter isn't pulling yourself up. Starting a business or launching a new product is incredibly difficult regardless of where the funding comes from. It takes a massive amount of effort and commitment. Just because someone is asking for capital doesn't mean they aren't working twice as hard as you. Maybe you've never "begged" for money because you never had to. Good for you...

I don't see how using Kickstarter isn't pulling yourself up. Starting a business or launching a new product is incredibly difficult regardless of where the funding comes from. It takes a massive amount of effort and commitment. Just because someone is asking for capital doesn't mean they aren't working twice as hard as you. Maybe you've never "begged" for money because you never had to. Good for you...

When you have people like Spike Lee doing this on kickstarter I think your argument falls flat:

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/08/21/spike-lee-film-raises-1-4-million-on-kickstarter/

Oh that old chestnut! In my day I had to mine the copper to make the pennies to buy my own shoes because my parents couldn't afford it.

Since you're so adamantly against Kickstarter and any form of begging I trust you've bought and paid for everything you own without any form of loans or credit...

Since you're so adamantly against Kickstarter and any form of begging I trust you've bought and paid for everything you own without any form of loans or credit...

You do understand how loans and credit work right? You pay interest on them. You don't get money for free which is essentially what kickstarter does.

You do understand how loans and credit work right? You pay interest on them. You don't get money for free which is essentially what kickstarter does.

I do understand, but sitting here and saying that posting your idea on the internet and asking people to fund it for perks is begging and panhandling and that you've never begged in your life is ridiculous. Most people didn't boot strap their way to that car, or their house. They took advantage of the fact that the bank was willing to loan them money.

Is Kickstarter the same as a loan? Nope, I never implied it was. My point was that unless the person I quoted has bought everything entirely with his own cash then he certainly has had to ask someone to help him out. I would find it highly ironic that someone claiming such moral high ground had taken loans....

I've only ever donated to one crowdsourcing campaign, it was for Adam Carolla's independant film "Road Hard" on fundanything.com. He raised well over his $1 million goal (it's over $1.4 million now). I donated because I like Adam Carolla, I thought his first movie ("The Hammer") was awesome and I want to see him make another one, and also by contributing, I'll get my name in the film's credits and be immortalized for all time.

I'm at work right now, so I can't go digging for it, but Amanda Palmer did a TED talk a couple of months back about putting her album on kickstarter. It was pretty interesting. Anyone else able to put up a link to it?

I'm at work right now, so I can't go digging for it, but Amanda Palmer did a TED talk a couple of months back about putting her album on kickstarter. It was pretty interesting. Anyone else able to put up a link to it?

<iframe src="http://embed.ted.com/talks/amanda_palmer_the_art_of_asking.html" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>​

Let's all just agree to disagree. There are good and bad Kickstarter projects, some do seem to be "begging" for money, many are more just like pre-ordering stuff (at a discounted price no less) that you want to see made. Of course with any service there will be those that take advantage of it. That's life. You can't judge all of a group (even if it's users of a website) by the actions of some. If that were true then I would say that all information on this site is bad and everyone is a noob.

I in no way endorse either of these projects, I'm just going to show two examples of one that seems like begging for money and one that is more in tune with what *I* think Kickstarter is all about.

Hoot's Beer Co.
Brews-Key

Here's the great thing about kickstarter:

YOU AREN'T OBLIGATED TO VISIT THE SITE OR DONATE MONEY

I think i'm going to start a thread bitchin about the condition of the highways in northern Russia. Because things that have absolutely no affect on my life need to be addressed.

I sure don't get why some of the posts are filled with snide remarks and insulting tones. If someone doesn't agree with me, that's cool. But some of the posts have been snide and downright nasty.

I have a great idea! Instead of making snide remarks and making yourself look like a dick, refrain from saying anything if you can't be nice. My momma always said "if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all".

If someone isn't capable of being able to have a conversion, especially if they have a different point of view, without being a ******, perhaps they shouldn't say anything. Just a thought!

edit...

Sorry Yooper.
I assume that was targeted at me.
Didn't really know I was being a dick, ******, etc, etc.

I'll refrain from commenting on this silly topic anymore.

edit...

Sorry Yooper.
I assume that was targeted at me.
Didn't really know I was being a dick, ******, etc, etc.

I'll refrain from commenting on this silly topic anymore.

NOT directed at you! At least, not solely anyway! I read the first page, and there were lots of snide remarks and insults. Yours wasn't too bad at all- just bigger font.

I think differences of opinion are great, and help us grow as people if we can discuss our perspectives. But insinuating that someone is stupid because they have a different opinion goes against the spirit of discussion, and it bothers me.

I'm very reluctant to say this, because I fear the fall out, but I'm a man of conviction so I'm going to say it with the most respect and deference I can muster:

I gave to this site (as a LIFETIME supporter) because it's a great idea. I also have contributed to one and only one kickstarter for the same reason. Do I think the site owner helped me personally? No, but the forum and the exchange of great ideas here have! I have contributed to that exchange and have been thanked many times for my contributions. Do I see the site owners asking for support as begging or panhandling? Absolutely NOT!!!! I see it as someone who benefits from a great idea (beneficiary: me-- idea: to host this forum) donating to help defray the costs of hosting this forum.

I see the single and only kickstarter I've contributed to no differently. It was a great idea and in exchange I get to be one of the first consumers to benefit from that great idea. It was absolutely NOT begging or panhandling.

I humbly and respectfully suggest that this thread gets moved to the debate forum where thick skin is an accepted prerequisite, because that's what this is, a debate, and every poster on this thread has taken a side in this debate.

I hope that came off as respectfully and deferentially as it was intended. :mug:

I read this whole thread a few times and quite honestly the rudest post came from a moderator.

I gave to this site (as a LIFETIME supporter) because it's a great idea. I also have contributed to one and only one kickstarter for the same reason. Do I think the site owner helped me personally? No, but the forum and the exchange of great ideas here have! I have contributed to that exchange and have been thanked many times for my contributions. Do I see the site owners asking for support as begging or panhandling? Absolutely NOT!!!! I see it as someone who benefits from a great idea (beneficiary: me-- idea: to host this forum) donating to help defray the costs of hosting this forum.

I see the single and only kickstarter I've contributed to no differently. It was a great idea and in exchange I get to be one of the first consumers to benefit from that great idea. It was absolutely NOT begging or panhandling.
:mug:

Wow- I never thought of it that way at all. When you explain it that way, it seems different to me now. Thanks for that!

When I think about it, I've given to a lot of things that don't "benefit" me directly but still are good things. (Church, food banks, other charities, plus I'm sure some for-profit things). It's unusual that a discussion on an internet forum could change my mind, and make me see things differently, but there is always a first time. :D

Back