Kick start yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dendron8

Reaction score
I have an imperial stout that after 10 days has only gone from 1.094 to 1.054. It had been in an inkbird controlled chest freezer @ 64 degrees. I took it out, shook it and put it in a closet where it is now warming up to probably around 70 degrees. Is that going to get the yeast going again or what should I do?

I have an imperial stout that after 10 days has only gone from 1.094 to 1.054. It had been in an inkbird controlled chest freezer @ 64 degrees. I took it out, shook it and put it in a closet where it is now warming up to probably around 70 degrees. Is that going to get the yeast going again or what should I do?

First, did you check with a refractometer or a hydrometer? That makes a huge difference.

How much yeast did you pitch at the beginning? And which strain?

What I would do if it's really truly stalled is to make a new beer, and then rack the stout onto the yeast cake, but only if it's really truly stalled.

The hydrometer is how I got the current gravity... So yes I checked it :)

Two packs of dry 11g safale 33, hydrated pre pitch.

I finally got frustrated and just set the fermentation bucket in the garage. After a day the temp read 80.. And now I see airlock activity.

I am concerned at that temp it may produce off flavors, but at least the yeast finally woke up :)

You probably could just put it back in your fermentation chamber at a somewhat higher temperature. Fermentis' specs sheet recommend that you ferment between 59F and 68F. They also state that this particular yeast is a low attenuation strain, so maybe it'll take a while to get to FG.

You probably could just put it back in your fermentation chamber at a somewhat higher temperature. Fermentis' specs sheet recommend that you ferment between 59F and 68F. They also state that this particular yeast is a low attenuation strain, so maybe it'll take a while to get to FG.

Thanks slitherydee. You are right, I could do that but there's already a smash ipa in there :)

Back