kettle ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbigger

Reaction score
I have been using a stainless turkey fryer from a freind to brew extract kits and it has worked great but I have had to return it and now need to get my own set up. I am thinking of converting a keg that I have and my question is should I buy a burner or try to go with a heating element. I would like to beable to step up to 10 gallon boils and move into all grain after I save some money and gain some wisdom. Right now I brew in the garage but I would like to move into the basement next to my wash tub. Looking for some tips or mabey a link or 2.

Thanks ,Nick

If you are going to brew indoors, a heating element would be better IMO, unless you know what you are doing when it comes to gas plumbing & ventilation. If you stay outside, I would use a propane burner.

Thanks for the reply I think I am going to try and go electric. I have searched a few posts and there is alot of info out there. I also have a empty plug from a electric dryer that has been replaced by a gas one. The only think that I am stumped on is the controler and how much I will be looking at. Want to keep it cheep but I also want to do it right.

Thanks, Nick

Thanks for the reply I think I am going to try and go electric. I have searched a few posts and there is alot of info out there. I also have a empty plug from a electric dryer that has been replaced by a gas one. The only think that I am stumped on is the controler and how much I will be looking at. Want to keep it cheep but I also want to do it right.

Thanks, Nick

There are a lot of good threads here for electric builds. Check out Auber PID's for your controller ($50). You can use a Solid State Relay or Definate Purpose Contactor to switch your element from the controller(~$30). Wire this stuff up in some sort of junction box, a few cords and plugs and you've got it. It really can be done quite simply. GFI protection is also important. You can replace the breaker feeding your Dryer receptacle with a GFI.

This is a modular power/temp. control center that I put together using the BCS 460 for wireless PC based control. Just run your hots from your elements/pumps/valves into the already installed SSRs, run your grounds to the installed ground bar, log into the BCS on your PC and you are running with direct control, differential, duty cycle or PID control :D 12" x 12" x 6"

4 temp inputs, 6 power control outputs, 10 installed SSRs... plug and play!

P1030866.jpg

Latest posts

Back