Kettle Soured Raspberry Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northerngal

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S05
Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
Red
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 days @ 95'F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ 70'F
Additional Fermentation
10 days @ 70'F
Tasting Notes
Sour, tart, raspberry on the nose, hints of lime/citrus
9 lb 2row
1 lb pilsner
0.5 lb crystal malt

BIAB Style
Mash at 158 for an hour with 7.5 gal water. Remove & squeeze bag.
Sour with lacto; brew belt for 3 days at 95F until pH of 3.5 or 3 (to preference)
Boil for an hour to kill lacto. I don't use hops in this beer, obviously they can be added to preference.
Pitch with S04 when cool. Ferment for 1-2 weeks until FG is reached. Add in 6lbs raspberries and zest of 6 limes. 10 more days at 65F; bottle or keg as preferred.

S05; sorry for the confusion. Colour was a dusky pink/red and it was tart raspberried and delicious.

Sounds nice. I did a 50/50 pilsner/wheat kettle sour using wyeast 5335 then used us05. I bittered to 8ibu and used raspberry in the secondary. It turned out very nice. Cheers
20180905_202058.jpeg

Hello

Newbi sour question:
Why does he have to boil only for 15 minutes?

Wouldnt pilsner malt require 60 minutes?

If i want to use raspberry extact, CAN I ferment only 2 weeks
Correct, if you just want to add extract/flavoring at bottling you don't need a secondary.
or the schedule is the same as non sour beer?
Not sure what you mean. Most ales are ready to bottle in 1-2 weeks.
Adding real fruit/juice requires some additional time to ferment and clear.

Cheers

That sounds really good. I just started playing around with kettle sours, doing 1-gallon experimental batches using Briess Pilsen Light DME. The first batch I'm just doing straight-forward, no extracts or secondary fruits. Just primary, add priming solution and bottle. It came out a beautiful, bright yellow color and very tart. Super excited to try it when it's done conditioning.

The 2nd batch I have at 102F right now with the lacto in it at juuuust about 23 hours. Going to follow the same process as the first but make it a tropical fruit sour. At 24 hours I plan to boil for 15 minutes, pitch 0.5 amarillo hops at flameout and ferment until OG is reached. Then into 2ndary with mixed tropical fruits for about 10 days. I am super interested to see how this comes out.

I have never done a sour but was looking into a very similar recipe just without the lime and uses tettnang hops and T-58 yeast.

I'm considering the lime. Anyone have $.02 for US-05 vs T-58 in something like this?

T58 will give you a bit more peppery flavor vs us05 Not much just subtle. I use both yeast a lot and I prefer 58 for my lime sour that is similar to this sour

Brewing a smaller batch would use the same temps and time for the mash, right?
I'm new to this

Brewing a smaller batch would use the same temps and time for the mash, right?
I'm new to this
Yep, just scale down the grain and use however much water required for your brewing gear and batch size.

Welcome to HBT!

Sounds nice. I did a 50/50 pilsner/wheat kettle sour using wyeast 5335 then used us05. I bittered to 8ibu and used raspberry in the secondary. It turned out very nice. Cheers View attachment 587887
What hops did you add? When did you add them? You mention the two yeasts. Pitch them both at the same time? Thanks for any info. Looking to do my first kettle sour soon.

9 lb 2row
1 lb pilsner
0.5 lb crystal malt

BIAB Style
Mash at 158 for an hour with 7.5 gal water. Remove & squeeze bag.
Sour with lacto; brew belt for 3 days at 95F until pH of 3.5 or 3 (to preference)
Boil for an hour to kill lacto. I don't use hops in this beer, obviously they can be added to preference.
Pitch with S04 when cool. Ferment for 1-2 weeks until FG is reached. Add in 6lbs raspberries and zest of 6 limes. 10 more days at 65F; bottle or keg as preferred.
Sounds awesome!

Going to make this soon.

Is it a good idea to boil 15 minutes after the mashing to "kill" anything that you don't want before moving to the souring? That's what I did when I made a sour long ago. but I noticed you didn't. Just curious.

Yes, brewing for only 15 minutes when the time come is all you need. Good time for some very minute hop additions if desired <8 IBU.

I ended my mash with 3.25 gallons (I'm doing a 2.5 gallon amount). When I boil should I make sure I get closer to the 2.5 gallon mark? This is my first all grain recipe by the way.

Had a question about what you did with the raspberries. Did you mash them up, blend them, juice them, or leave them whole? I am doing a marionberry kettle sour soon and wanted to see the best process for the berries.

Latest posts

Back