Kettle Soured Raspberry Blonde

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Northerngal

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S05
Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
Red
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 days @ 95'F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ 70'F
Additional Fermentation
10 days @ 70'F
Tasting Notes
Sour, tart, raspberry on the nose, hints of lime/citrus
9 lb 2row
1 lb pilsner
0.5 lb crystal malt

BIAB Style
Mash at 158 for an hour with 7.5 gal water. Remove & squeeze bag.
Sour with lacto; brew belt for 3 days at 95F until pH of 3.5 or 3 (to preference)
Boil for an hour to kill lacto. I don't use hops in this beer, obviously they can be added to preference.
Pitch with S04 when cool. Ferment for 1-2 weeks until FG is reached. Add in 6lbs raspberries and zest of 6 limes. 10 more days at 65F; bottle or keg as preferred.

deadwolfbones

Reaction score
Nice! Just in case you didn't know, you don't have to boil for a full hour. 15 minutes or so is good enough.

toddo97

Reaction score
Nice simple, quick recipe. How was the color? I think I'll try this in the next couple months or so.

k0davis

Reaction score
Turn out ok? Just added the lacto. Now for the wait

OP
Northerngal

Northerngal

Reaction score
S05; sorry for the confusion. Colour was a dusky pink/red and it was tart raspberried and delicious.

Blazinlow86

Reaction score
Sounds nice. I did a 50/50 pilsner/wheat kettle sour using wyeast 5335 then used us05. I bittered to 8ibu and used raspberry in the secondary. It turned out very nice. Cheers
20180905_202058.jpeg

triat00

Reaction score
Hello

Newbi sour question:
Why does he have to boil only for 15 minutes?

Wouldnt pilsner malt require 60 minutes?

RPh_Guy

Bringing Sour Back
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If i want to use raspberry extact, CAN I ferment only 2 weeks
Correct, if you just want to add extract/flavoring at bottling you don't need a secondary.
or the schedule is the same as non sour beer?
Not sure what you mean. Most ales are ready to bottle in 1-2 weeks.
Adding real fruit/juice requires some additional time to ferment and clear.

Cheers

nathliea

Avid Indoorsman
Reaction score
That sounds really good. I just started playing around with kettle sours, doing 1-gallon experimental batches using Briess Pilsen Light DME. The first batch I'm just doing straight-forward, no extracts or secondary fruits. Just primary, add priming solution and bottle. It came out a beautiful, bright yellow color and very tart. Super excited to try it when it's done conditioning.

The 2nd batch I have at 102F right now with the lacto in it at juuuust about 23 hours. Going to follow the same process as the first but make it a tropical fruit sour. At 24 hours I plan to boil for 15 minutes, pitch 0.5 amarillo hops at flameout and ferment until OG is reached. Then into 2ndary with mixed tropical fruits for about 10 days. I am super interested to see how this comes out.

TNJake

Reaction score
I have never done a sour but was looking into a very similar recipe just without the lime and uses tettnang hops and T-58 yeast.

I'm considering the lime. Anyone have $.02 for US-05 vs T-58 in something like this?

universalfrost

Keep your stick on the ice.
Reaction score
T58 will give you a bit more peppery flavor vs us05 Not much just subtle. I use both yeast a lot and I prefer 58 for my lime sour that is similar to this sour

Fennykun

Reaction score
Brewing a smaller batch would use the same temps and time for the mash, right?
I'm new to this

kacey1973

Reaction score
Sounds nice. I did a 50/50 pilsner/wheat kettle sour using wyeast 5335 then used us05. I bittered to 8ibu and used raspberry in the secondary. It turned out very nice. Cheers View attachment 587887
What hops did you add? When did you add them? You mention the two yeasts. Pitch them both at the same time? Thanks for any info. Looking to do my first kettle sour soon.

kacey1973

Reaction score
9 lb 2row
1 lb pilsner
0.5 lb crystal malt

BIAB Style
Mash at 158 for an hour with 7.5 gal water. Remove & squeeze bag.
Sour with lacto; brew belt for 3 days at 95F until pH of 3.5 or 3 (to preference)
Boil for an hour to kill lacto. I don't use hops in this beer, obviously they can be added to preference.
Pitch with S04 when cool. Ferment for 1-2 weeks until FG is reached. Add in 6lbs raspberries and zest of 6 limes. 10 more days at 65F; bottle or keg as preferred.
Sounds awesome!

fendersrule

Reaction score
Going to make this soon.

Is it a good idea to boil 15 minutes after the mashing to "kill" anything that you don't want before moving to the souring? That's what I did when I made a sour long ago. but I noticed you didn't. Just curious.

Yes, brewing for only 15 minutes when the time come is all you need. Good time for some very minute hop additions if desired <8 IBU.

Latest posts