Kelvinator Fridge conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dagatris

Reaction score
We bought a used Kelvinator (I've never even heard of this brand) top freezer/bottom refrigerator at the Habitat for Humanity store for $100. I know that it's 15.4 cu ft, but it has no model number on it anywhere. I checked their website, but they only seem to have info for their current models. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where the coolant lines might be running?

I plan on doing shanks thru the door which won't be a problem regarding the coolant lines. I'd like to store my CO2 tank outside the fridge. It doesn't appear to have a drain line. So I guess I'll be doing the vodka/corn starch test, along with some pilot holes and probing to get a hole in one of the sides.

My other question involves running the lines thru the fridge. I've got a dual-gauge regulator attached to my tank. So currently, I can run 2 kegs. I'd like to run 1 line into the fridge, and keep the other outside for carbing/cleaning purposes. When I run the line into the fridge, can I strap it to the back wall, and attach it to this Austin Homebrew Supply so that I can run 3 kegs inside?

I imagine I'll need to get a QD with a hose clamp to run from the regulator. Then it comes inside and connects to the Cross with another hose clamp. Then lines/hose clamps outward from the Cross with QD's on the end of them. Anyone see any glaring issues with this plan?

Sounds like you have put some good thought into this. The only thing I would concider is a manifold rather than the T to split the gas inside the fridge.

Be careful and goodluck with getting through the side of the fridge for your gas line, I have seen videos of the cornstarch and alcohol trick, it should work.

I'd really like to get a manifold, but the $40-50 price tag is driving me away. Where's the best place to get them?

What's the best way to mount stuff on the inside of the fridge? Theres still the fear of coolant lines hiding behind the walls. And is the fridge lining sturdy enough to not crack when a 4-way manifold is screwed into it?

This is my Kelvinator Freezer... It shows the lines running on the outside at approximately 4-5 inches apart... dont know if this helps but be carefull taping into the side walls. Check out some threads on how to do this without injuring anything.

I know when I did my fridgerator, I didnt have any issues with the side walls but I might have also gotten lucky! Good Luck :mug:

Coolant Lines.jpg

Back