Kegs - the new frontier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumbrewindude

Reaction score
So, after a few batches with bottles and fighting carbing like I wanted it I broke down and got two kegs (the fact AHI had them cheap helped sell it to the SWMBO).

I'm already going over all the threads I can find on here, but I've got a couple questions -

1) I know I need a regulator, lines, tank and hook ups. Can a 5# tank run a two keg system AND force carb?
2) If it isnt' enough to FC, can I still carb with sugar and wait the few weeks (like bottling) and then use tank to push? Do I need to reduce the amount of sugar due to the keg, or is it the same amount?
3) Ten feet minimum on the liquid line, right? Gas line doesn't matter?
4) Is there a video out there on how to correctly santize them for storage/right before use? I use idophore if that matters..

Got taken apart and cleaned up tonight - learned real fast which was the liquid post when I depressed the poppet to clear the pressure. :eek:

These things are really cool. Makes me want to get another one so I can have a keg/fermenter for lagering in the summer. :ban: Baby steps first - lets get these two filled and good to go.

Corny kegs are fantastic, I'm up to five now even though my kegerator only holds two. Then I can have two more conditioning in my chest freezer in my bedroom closet :)

1. Yes, I have a 5# tank and I use it to force carb and serve. You'll be amazed how much co2 comes out of that little tank. I force carb a corny keg a week on average, and the tank lasts probably 6-8 weeks. I would eventually like to get a 25# tank to do all the force carbing and purging, and keep the 5# just for serving.
2. Yes you could do that, but then you take away one of the major advantages of kegging which is being able to force carbonate.
3. Yes, 10'+ of 3/16" liquid line is best to prevent foaming while keeping your serving pressure high.
4. I don't know about a video, but here is my method: Once they blow I keep them refrigerated until ready to clean. To clean I rinse thoroughly with hot water, shaking the crap out of it and dumping it until it looks clean inside. Then I add a gallon or so of hot water, a half scoop of oxyclean, and shake the crap out of it every 5 minutes for 20 minutes or so, pressurize enough to push it out my taps (cleaning the taps as well as the keg), rinse thoroughly with hot water, pressurize and rinse tap lines, mix up starsan and sanitize, pressurize and sanitize tap lines, dump out excess star san, put lid on, pressurize and purge several times (so I rack into a co2 purged keg when the time comes), then leave it pressurized until ready for more beer.

I have been getting a bit lazier and not pressurizing to oxyclean, rinse and starsan the liquid tube, and I just use a pen to push down the poppit and squirt the cleaners out as I rock the keg back and forth. It saves alot of co2 this way. I am really thorough about it and I've never had any infection issues whatsoever. I very rarely fully disassemble the keg and clean it like some people do. When I do take it apart fully I don't see any sort of gummy buildup or anything that leads me to believe its not fully clean, and I'm not a fan of cleaning things that are already clean.

You will be very happy with kegging, no more bottles means no one has any idea how many beers you've had!:mug:

Thanks Tooldude!

I've got them apart right now soaking in Oxy, because I don't have any Starsan or CO2 for the moment I'm just going to air dry them and store them upside down/covered until I get the rest of the system together. I'll stay with the 5#'er for now, need to find an upright to make a keezer or something after the SWMBO kicks me out of the upstairs fridge.

I saw a great video on a keg washer setup, so I need to get a sump pump and some plumbing to make one.

Back