Kegs: 1 handle or 2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schematix

Reaction score
I am looking to expand my keg family soon. I currently have 7 ball lock corny kegs. They all have the black rubber base and 2 black rubber handles on top.

I've noticed the price of brand new AEB kegs is nearly the same price as reconditioned kegs now. I'm wondering from the community here that has used both kinds, if there are any pros/cons to either style. Cost difference isn't important to me here.

I'd think the 2 handle version is easier to handle than the 1, but that's my only thought. Other ideas?

I have the two handled legs and want to use the single handle as I feel as though it will give more flexibility with the connectors to rotate in more positions without hitting the handle.

I have the two handled legs and want to use the single handle as I feel as though it will give more flexibility with the connectors to rotate in more positions without hitting the handle.

Ha im the opposite i need two handles to get it up and into my keezer, and my gas is always at the back and liquid at the front..that way i know what post is what without shining a light into my keezer.

Ha im the opposite i need two handles to get it up and into my keezer, and my gas is always at the back and liquid at the front..that way i know what post is what without shining a light into my keezer.

One of the worst things I do to my back is lift kegs in and out of the chest freezer. It's a horribly awkward angle and is lifting with the lower back. I can see two handles making this easier...

I have a fridge, so lifting isn't a worry for me. Personally I hate the rubber handles. All of the old ones I've had, if you get them wet they end up leaving me with black hands and what not. I know some people dont encounter this, but Ive also seen many threads on here experiencing the same. Love my new single-handle metal ones.

I have 8 or so dual handle refurbed kegs and one brand new single handle keg. The brand new single handle one was the second keg I ever got, but I'll always get dual handle kegs from now on.

Lifting is nicer with two handles. But more importantly for me, I dry my cleaned kegs upside down, and the dual handle kegs stand upside down on thier own. That convenience alone is worth it for me.

My keg collection is a mutt... 5 sankes, 4 ball locks, one of which is a single handle. Honestly I have no preference of one type over the other when it comes to handles. I too, use a fridge though, so lifting the keg up high really isnt an issue for myself.

I have OCD... and pretty bad too.

I had a couple single handle kegs, but sold them because I had more double handled kegs. They all work the same. I do prefer ball lock over pin lock due to the tall/thin shape and the prv in the lid... but that's a different topic.

I actually prefer the double handled kegs. I knocked over an almost full single handle keg before and damaged the post (cracked at the body) because it didn't have the second handle for extra protection. I use that keg for pushing cleaners now.

When you have gallons and gallons of beer on tap at your disposal... you're gonna knock something over eventually. Lol!

I have both and prefer the single handle kegs. The black rubber rubs off and bugs me. I'll be building or buying a carboy/keg washer soon so not sure if the handle orientation will matter or not.

Old used ones with 2 handles are just much easier to find around here...

Got 3 used ball locks that hold pressure with new seals on CList today for $45...damn steal.

My LBHS is a ripoff, they are charging $70 for used corny kegs that havent even been cleaned..they are still full of syrup and **** and probably need all new seals and probably new posts...

I want a 15 gallon corny and that baby better have two handles! Black streaks here on fridge wood stand. For Keezer better have two handles i would guess. Your body shape matters too. I dont own new one but they are pretty and nice and i bet they work better than my Craigslist special and i would trust iijakii that they are awesome. Big issue for me would be as someone mentioned storing them upside down to dry i do that lid on top. Nice and neat

All of this.

My kegerator is Sanyo 1206, which can hold 4 kegs if two in the rear are single handle. Beverage Element, where I bought my kegs, categories single-hanlde kegs as class 2, cheaper than two-handle kegs as class 1. Therefore, I see no reason not to go with single handle kegs.

I started with a package deal that included single handle (stainless) handle kegs, and later got a 4 pack promo on used dual rubber handle ones. The dual handle ones go into the keezer a little bit easier. Not for the weight distribution, but to allow it to drop perfectly vertical into the slot available. I don't have a whole lot of wiggle room between kegs in there, and the off centre handle on the others means it wants to lean to one side. Manageable, but not as easy. My used 2 handle kegs do leave black marks often, particularly so on the initial clean up of them.

As far as "what post goes where" I always have the gas post on one side of where the lid clamps down. Gives a quick point of reference, regardless of orientation or keg style.

It might depend on your setup. I use a kegerator and was unsure which to get in the beginning as well. Eventually I went with the single handle AEB kegs for a few reasons. For me it gives me more top space to work with in the tighter confines of my triple tap kegerator. I also did not want to deal with the black rubber getting all over my hands - and it does rub off trust me! My kegs have the rubber on the feet and I have to put a plastic mat down in the bath tub when cleaning the kegs as they were leaving black marks all over and the wife wasn't happy :)

Since my kegerator is low I don't have to lift them high except for when I fill with some water and Oxyclean and shake it around. For this I have no problem with the single handle as my other hand holds the bottom (rubber part) of the keg. I've also found no issue lifting and carrying this way, but again it depends on your setup.

Rev.

Back