Keggle mash tun with screen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theck

Reaction score
Currently I have a 52 quart cooler tun w/ a bazooka screen I use which works pretty good. I was checking out the numbers and I think it won't support 10 gallon batches that well, but I do have an extra keggle. Currently it's without the top and hole in the side but I could easily, and cheaply, add a weldless and use the screen from the cooler, adding insulation around the keggle on mash. Would the screen be effective or is it better with keggles to have false bottoms? Should I bother using it as a tun or just get a proper 10 gallon rubbermaid? I thought about just selling the extra I have, takes up a bit of room in the garage, and think I could maybe use it for something so why not a tun if it's not too costly. Thanks.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

Since the bottom of kegs are domed, a bazooka screen attached to the valve would be about 4 inches above the bottom of the keg. You'd have a huge dead space issue and horrible efficiencies using a bazooka tube in a keg.

You're better off with a false bottom and a dip tube in a keggle.

I have one of the JayBird (NorCal Brewing) stainless false bottoms in my keggle and I love it.

If you're on the cheap, I've read about people making false bottoms using the top of the keg they cut out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

Shoot forgot about that. Duh. The false bottoms are pretty expensive, the tops where cut out already so can't use those. Would the keggle tun be more efficient you think? I would maybe spend the cash if I could do 10 gallons and it had better efficiency. Currently getting average of maybe 68-70.

Keggles don't have any insulation to keep the heat up during mash.

A ten gallon Rubbermaid cooler only hold 40 quarts, 12 quarts less than your current cooler.

If you're serious about needing more size, step up to a Coleman Extreme 72quart. Keep your eyes peeled for a deal. They can be had pretty cheap through Amazon or Kmart or WalMart, particularly if you don't have a specific color in mind...

Your efficiency will not Improve based on the mash tun. A better crush will raise your efficiency, but 70% is perfectly acceptable and I only shoot for around 70% and 75% the key is consistency

To use a keggle you'll need a dip tube, and a pump (most likely), but they are really designed for use in a RIMS/HERMS systems IMO. They won't hold temp better than a cooler. Also, they are a pain to clean, when they are full of wet grain they are pretty heavy/bulky.

I would use it as a boil kettle and you should be able to make fairly large 10 gallon batches with your 52 quart cooler. If your efficiency goes up to 80% you can make a 10 gallon beer at 1088

Link so size mash tun.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/how-big-your-mash-tun-needs-123585/

Keggles don't have any insulation to keep the heat up during mash.

A ten gallon Rubbermaid cooler only hold 40 quarts, 12 quarts less than your current cooler.

If you're serious about needing more size, step up to a Coleman Extreme 72quart. Keep your eyes peeled for a deal. They can be had pretty cheap through Amazon or Kmart or WalMart, particularly if you don't have a specific color in mind...

You can use the water heater insulation or something similar. Few videos and write ups about it and super efficient they say. I would like to kick my game up to 10 gallons, so I'll keep an eye out for a bigger cooler I guess. Maybe some deals in spring.

Your efficiency will not Improve based on the mash tun. A better crush will raise your efficiency, but 70% is perfectly acceptable and I only shoot for around 70% and 75% the key is consistency

To use a keggle you'll need a dip tube, and a pump (most likely), but they are really designed for use in a RIMS/HERMS systems IMO. They won't hold temp better than a cooler. Also, they are a pain to clean, when they are full of wet grain they are pretty heavy/bulky.

I would use it as a boil kettle and you should be able to make fairly large 10 gallon batches with your 52 quart cooler. If your efficiency goes up to 80% you can make a 10 gallon beer at 1088

Link so size mash tun.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/how-big-your-mash-tun-needs-123585/

Ah true. I scouted that link but think if I wanted to do a high gravity it wouldn't support it. Might try a smash first to see how it does. I'm working on my efficiency trying to figure out my Ph and a better system for the cooler, thought maybe the keggle mash tun would help and give me 10 gallon options. If I could get away with a new setup cheap and raise it a bit why not but sounds like it wouldn't work out the way I want.

Back