Keggle Mash/Cooler Lauter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gytaryst

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon Igloo cooler I use for a mash tun. I also have an extra keg in the garage that I haven't decided what I want to use for, (HLT, mash tun or fermenter). It doesn't have any holes drilled in it yet.

The quad I'm getting ready to brew is a 5.5 gallon recipe that uses 23 pounds of grain and I was hoping to try something different besides the usual single infusion mash; like a decoction or a step mash.

I was actually planning to do a decoction with the 10 gallon igloo. I've never done one and while doing some quick calculations it looks like a 10 gallon vessel could get a little crowded.

So I was thinking about how I could use the keg for the mash, which would also give me the option to direct fire it if I decide. But without a valve installed or a false bottom I couldn't use it for lautering.

I know it wouldn't cost much to get it set up as a mash tun, but again, I'm not sure I want to use it for a mash tun. I have a couple 1/2" SS valves laying around and a box of 1/2" SS fittings so I could do weldless install right now, (but again, I'm also not sure if I want to do weldless). The ingredients for this brew are going to run me almost $60. I wasn't planning on buying any equipment this week so I really don't want to add a false bottom and pick-up tube onto what the beer is already costing to brew.

If I can use the keg as a mash tun the way it is and then transfer to the igloo, I might try that. Has anyone tried that?

Back in the day I used to mash in a pot with no fittings and then dump into a bucket fitted with a plastic false bottom for lautering. A risk is stuck sparge. I had success putting several inches of 170 degree water in the bucket before dumping. Another risk is just making a general mess.
Bottom line, it can be done.

Back in the day I used to mash in a pot with no fittings and then dump into a bucket fitted with a plastic false bottom for lautering. A risk is stuck sparge. I had success putting several inches of 170 degree water in the bucket before dumping. Another risk is just making a general mess.
Bottom line, it can be done.
Cool. I think I'm going to give that a shot. I'm probably adding 3 hours to my brew day and a ton of extra work - but I've been curious about trying a decoction mash for a long time. After I try it once I might never try it again - but I gotta try it at least once.

Latest posts

Back