Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newtobrewing85

Reaction score
Hey everyone I just had a few questions and instead of googling a million things or looking at every thread here.

Is there an all encompassing thread I didn’t see about switching to kegging?

Are there any brands or websites to stay away from or those to look at? I usually go northern brewer or something like that. Adventures in home brewing is usually pretty well priced as well. Any recommendations?

Things I need to know?

Thanks. Wife is asking about Christmas gifts and this is the first thing I thought of this morning so I’m just trying to gather info fast with all the supply chain issues.

When I started kegging, I got my kegs here: Keg Equipment | Shop Home Brew Keg Kits & High-Quality Brewing Equipment - Beverage Elements

They had the best price and the best shipping price, at the time. Used kegs work fine. I prefer ball lock. Beverage Elements also shipped new o rings and gaskets with each keg. Also got my regulator and CO2 tank from them. I would highly recommend NOT buying a new CO2 tank, because when it comes time to refill, most places swap tanks, at least by me. So my BRAND NEW tank was mine for only 2 uses. Not a huge deal, but something to think about if you like shiny new things.

If you’re putting together a keezer, as opposed to just a kegging setup, you should consider Duotight fittings and EVABarrier tubing. Morebeer stocks it, as does brewhardware.com. (One could argue Duotight/EVABarrier is the way to go no matter what.) Brewhardware is particularly good for regulators and manifolds and things with flare connections, which are easily adapted to Duotight (as opposed to hose barbs, which are not.)

I’ve had good experiences with new kegs from Adventures in Homebrewing.

And plusitty-plus-plus on not buying a shiny new CO2 tank.

When I started kegging, I got my kegs here: Keg Equipment | Shop Home Brew Keg Kits & High-Quality Brewing Equipment - Beverage Elements

So my BRAND NEW tank was mine for only 2 uses. Not a huge deal, but something to think about if you like shiny new things.
I am fortunate to have a LHBS that can refill.
He does exchanges and they also sell New tanks so you can get a new full instead of trying to find a place to fill after you buy.
Even the NB in MKE doesn't fill, they exchange.

If you’re putting together a keezer, as opposed to just a kegging setup, you should consider Duotight fittings and EVABarrier tubing. Morebeer stocks it, as does brewhardware.com. (One could argue Duotight/EVABarrier is the way to go no matter what.) Brewhardware is particularly good for regulators and manifolds and things with flare connections, which are easily adapted to Duotight (as opposed to hose barbs, which are not.)

I’ve had good experiences with new kegs from Adventures in Homebrewing.

And plusitty-plus-plus on not buying a shiny new CO2 tank.

No Keezer, just trying to make my bottling easier and less time consuming. I’ll just throw the keg in my outdoor fridge and let it sit there with my beers. As for all the fittings, my knowledge doesn’t exist there lol.

So don’t buy a CO2 package just get the keg, hoses and regulator?

They had the best price and the best shipping price, at the time. Used kegs work fine. I prefer ball lock. Beverage Elements also shipped new o rings and gaskets with each keg. Also got my regulator and CO2 tank from them. I would highly recommend NOT buying a new CO2 tank, because when it comes time to refill, most places swap tanks, at least by me. So my BRAND NEW tank was mine for only 2 uses. Not a huge deal, but something to think about if you like shiny new things.

Thanks! You answered most of my questions. I was leaning ball lock and not getting the CO2 tank. I was checking that website out too but I know nothing about them.

Question for the OP.
Do you have a basic understanding of how to put a draft system together? I don’t want to sound condescending to a newbie, but I don’t want to assume too much, either. Buying hardware is the easy part. Figuring how to make it all work together to achieve the desired result has a few more moving parts. Picking the brains of those here assembled may prevent you coming back and starting one of the many “help, my beer is foamy/flat/whatever” threads later.

Here’s an article that explains the process pretty well.

Question for the OP.
Do you have a basic understanding of how to put a draft system together? I don’t want to sound condescending to a newbie, but I don’t want to assume too much, either. Buying hardware is the easy part. Figuring how to make it all work together to achieve the desired result has a few more moving parts. Picking the brains of those here assembled may prevent you coming back and starting one of the many “help, my beer is foamy/flat/whatever” threads later.

Here’s an article that explains the process pretty well.

Not condescending at all! I admittedly don’t know anything but it’s a direction I’d like to go and thinking about what I wanted for Christmas it was one of the first things that popped in my head! I do have the how to brew book (not sure if it even covers this) but I definitely planned on doing more research before I wasted my time even attempting to keg anything. I’ll read that, thanks!!

No Keezer, just trying to make my bottling easier and less time consuming. I’ll just throw the keg in my outdoor fridge and let it sit there with my beers. As for all the fittings, my knowledge doesn’t exist there lol.

You could just buy a package. It won't be perfect, but it'll probably do pretty much exactly what you want. This package from AIH, or something similar from somewhere else.

Holy crap, I just looked up prices online for kegs, and they've gone from, on the low end, of say $40ish for a used ball lock 5 gallon corny keg to upwards of $80!

Maybe try Facebook marketplace or Craig's List. I've never paid more than $45 for a keg. Sad times...

Holy crap, I just looked up prices online for kegs, and they've gone from, on the low end, of say $40ish for a used ball lock 5 gallon corny keg to upwards of $80!

Maybe try Facebook marketplace or Craig's List. I've never paid more than $45 for a keg. Sad times...

Really?! Damn here I was thinking $80 wasn’t bad lol

AIH seems to have about the lowest prices for used ball locks. $45 for “good” ones, $28 for loose handles.

You could just buy a package. It won't be perfect, but it'll probably do pretty much exactly what you want. This package from AIH, or something similar from somewhere else.
That's a nice basic kit that will do what you want and let you decide what you want to expand to.
I'd recommend those basic pieces even if you do it piecemeal instead of buying the kit.
It's possible you can save a couple bucks especially if you opt for a used keg (recommended).

One of the larger vendors was selling "New" kegs for a decent price a few years ago I can't find my receipt now or I'd share the name.
I bought one and I am quite satisfied with the quality. One detractor is that I noticed the inside lip of the main lid opening was not deburred very well. Razor sharp edge where the oval opening was obviously punched out.
Not a deal breaker by any stretch. Just be cognizant of that possibility.

Edit: I purchased it from MoreBeer in 2016 @ $115. Not as cheap as I remembered but is is NSF and it was brand new.

Best price I ever got on a keg, Free!
About twenty years ago a buddy of mine worked for the city and found a Korny floating down the river while they were checking for obstructions during a heavy rain/flood. He was rewarded with fresh home brew regularly after our mountain bike rides.
I still use it as part of my keg rotation to this day.

Last edited:
One of the larger vendors was selling "New" kegs for a decent price a few years ago I can't find my receipt now or I'd share the name.
I bought one and I am quite satisfied with the quality. One detractor is that I noticed the inside lip of the main lid opening was not deburred very well. Razor sharp edge where the oval opening was obviously punched out.
Not a deal breaker by any stretch. Just be cognizant of that possibility.

Best price I ever got on a keg, Free!
About twenty years ago a buddy of mine worked for the city and found a Korny floating down the river while they were checking for obstructions during a heavy rain/flood. He was rewarded with fresh home brew regularly after our mountain bike rides.
I still use it as part of my keg rotation to this day.

Thanks! I’ll check around the forum here and see if I see anything. Can’t beat free though!

That's a nice basic kit that will do what you want and let you decide what you want to expand to.
I'd recommend those basic pieces even if you do it piecemeal instead of buying the kit.
It's possible you can save a couple bucks especially if you opt for a used keg (recommended).

No concern with used kegs? Essentially all that needs to be fixed is the rings?

Thanks everyone! I sent my wife some stuff to check out.

I have bought several used and a couple of new ball lock kegs from Adventures in Homebrewing. Also check Craigslist or Facebook marketplace for used stuff, maybe you’ll find an already assembled keezer or kegerator. DIY is always cool and fun but sometimes it’s nice to get what you want for a break even price and save all the time.

Maybe try Facebook marketplace or Craig's List. I've never paid more than $45 for a keg.
Also check Craigslist or Facebook marketplace for used stuff, maybe you’ll find an already assembled keezer or kegerator.
I second checking Craigslist. If you’re patient and live in or near a large population center, you can sometimes find killer deals on used draft equipment. $45-$50 for a used ball lock keg is probably towards the upper limit. I wouldn’t be scared of used kegs or CO2 tanks if you can inspect them before buying. Just use the keyword “keg” or “kegs” and a lot of those items sometimes show up. Don’t buy used tubing however, always start with new there. If used tubing comes with a “package” deal just take it and chuck it when you get home. I would recommend 4mm EVABarrier tubing and Duotight fittings if you’re starting from scratch. I would also be a little leery of used regulators and faucets… use your gut instincts on those. You can use picnic taps for dispensing on a budget or if you buy once, cry once, consider forward sealing faucets like Perlick or Intertap. Spend the money on stainless steel faucets and shanks too. It can be a little overwhelming to get started, but it’s a superior alternative to bottling in my opinion.

I second checking Craigslist. If you’re patient and live in or near a large population center, you can sometimes find killer deals on used draft equipment. $45-$50 for a used ball lock keg is probably towards the upper limit. I wouldn’t be scared of used kegs or CO2 tanks if you can inspect them before buying. Just use the keyword “keg” or “kegs” and a lot of those items sometimes show up. Don’t buy used tubing however, always start with new there. If used tubing comes with a “package” deal just take it and chuck it when you get home. I would recommend 4mm EVABarrier tubing and Duotight fittings if you’re starting from scratch. I would also be a little leery of used regulators and faucets… use your gut instincts on those. You can use picnic taps for dispensing on a budget or if you buy once, cry once, consider forward sealing faucets like Perlick or Intertap. Spend the money on stainless steel faucets and shanks too. It can be a little overwhelming to get started, but it’s a superior alternative to bottling in my opinion.

Yeah I have no issues going used to save cash now that I know. If my wife does do this for Christmas I can’t really ask her to piece together a kit so she will likely buy from a site lol. But I will watch these areas for a 2nd keg so I can bottle, keg and brew and condition a 2nd beer. Thanks for all the heads up, I’ll research all this.

But I will watch these areas for a 2nd keg so I can bottle, keg and brew and condition a 2nd beer.
Second keg or so? Third, fourth, fifth…. I have 10 five gallon and 4 three gallon with 3-5 rotating through my kegerator on a regular basis. It’s a deep rabbit hole.:cool: Something the missus doesn’t need to know yet.:no::D

Second keg or so? Third, fourth, fifth…. I have 10 five gallon and 4 three gallon with 3-5 rotating through my kegerator on a regular basis. It’s a deep rabbit hole.:cool: Something the missus doesn’t need to know yet.:no::D

Sweet Jesus! Lol. That’s a lot of beer, I don’t even have time to barely make a single batch haha.

Adventures in Homebrew and Austin Homebrew have the best prices on used kegs. Absolutely go used. My experience is everyone on FB and craigslist wants the same prices those two companies charge, but you don't get free delivery or a guarantee of quality. I did receive a used keg with a damaged post and they replaced if for free (with delivery!) no questions asked. Get your minimum used kegs and then scour craigslist and FB for deals. You can't have too many kegs. Once you learn the value of aging your beer/cider you'll be happy to have many extras. It's also almost the same amount of work to clean several kegs at once. I eventually picked up 5 kegs and a 20lb CO2 tank on FB for $100 but honestly I can justify the amount of time I spent searching. Get your ball locks, picnic taps and tubing from Amazon as well as these O rings Amazon.com: Universal Kegco type O-Ring Five Gasket Sets for Cornelius Home Brew Keg and Homebrewed With Pride keg sticker: Home & Kitchen. Make sure you make the length of tubing on the picnic tap at least 6 ft in length or you will either have foamy beer or flat beer. This takes some experimenting based on your fridge temp and pressure setting. One final thought, get a spare CO2 tank as quickly as you can find one cheap. They only leak on the weekend when you are having guests over and the CO2 supply store is closed :(

Yeah I have no issues going used to save cash now that I know. If my wife does do this for Christmas I can’t really ask her to piece together a kit so she will likely buy from a site lol. But I will watch these areas for a 2nd keg so I can bottle, keg and brew and condition a 2nd beer. Thanks for all the heads up, I’ll research all this.
Once you start kegging your not going to bottle your beer, you think you will but you won’t. I had a plan to keg half and bottle half, I bought more kegs…..20 now and half from Craigslist for super cheap to free.

Once you start kegging your not going to bottle your beer, you think you will but you won’t. I had a plan to keg half and bottle half, I bought more kegs…..20 now and half from Craigslist for super cheap to free.

You’re probably right. But I do like the idea of being able to bottle for parties and sharing with other people who aren’t at my house haha. I wanted to keg condition and bottle a few afterwards. Plus when they’re bottled you see the bottles and think, “maybe I’ve had enough for today.”

Why is that?
The last one I bought from Morebeer costs $70 and was supposed to be "cleaned & rebuilt" but it was filthy and leaky. The post seals and latch seal look to be replaced but the poppet leaks. Also, to top it off, for whatever reason my ball locks won't fit over the posts. If anyone knows why, please tell me? In answer to your question, this just soured me because I could have a new one for $95 at Adventures in Home Brewing.

The last one I bought from Morebeer costs $70 and was supposed to be "cleaned & rebuilt" but it was filthy and leaky. The post seals and latch seal look to be replaced but the poppet leaks. Also, to top it off, for whatever reason my ball locks won't fit over the posts. If anyone knows why, please tell me? In answer to your question, this just soured me because I could have a new one for $95 at Adventures in Home Brewing.

Yikes that’s a nightmare.

You may spend more money to buy a new car,you also may save money to buy a second hand car,
No problem,that's your choice:)

Haha. Well I did buy new 2012, 2013, 2017, 2019 and 2021 cars soooo 😂 I guess my tendency is to go new on my purchases, I prefer to be the first fart in my seats.

Also that wasn’t bragging, I only have 1 car lol. I just kept changing what I wanted. Whoops.

I'm willing to wager some cash and bet they put the wrong valves on the wrong posts. The gas and liquid side valve posts have slight variances to keep you from putting the wrong line on the wrong side. Or they could be some off-brand junk that weren't made to spec.

That's really sad to hear!

You should have complained of course, or asked for a refund, as merchandise you received was definitely not as described. If that failed, your Credit Card company could have assisted... by simply reversing the charges.

The last kegs I purchased were loose handle/bottom kegs from Adventures in Homebrewing for $27 each. One was fairly clean and the other still had soda in it. Both were pressurized and cleaned up good.

I'm willing to wager some cash and bet they put the wrong valves on the wrong posts. The gas and liquid side valve posts have slight variances to keep you from putting the wrong line on the wrong side. Or they could be some off-brand junk that weren't made to spec.
No, I tried both gas and liquid on both posts. Interestingly, the liquid post had a "star" type base and was not a nut to put a wrench on.

Like you're planning, I don't have a keezer and just sit my kegs in the fridge. I have a dedicated mini fridge for them, but I haven't run any gas lines in there, so they don't sit connected to my tank the way that kegs in a keezer do. I've been surprised how well it works! I had intended to run gas lines in, so I bought a manifold that would let me have two gas lines off one regulator. But honestly, I don't really need it. It's just more hosing to hang up now. I wish I had gone very simple and gotten the basic regulator with a single gas line. It's very easy to just top up the kegs when I pull a beer. You have to do it a bit more frequently when you're carbonating a fresh beer, because the excess Co2 goes into solution. But once it's carbed, it will stay at serving pressure for a few beers. So yeah, with that setup, just get a keg, a regulator, and one gas line with quick disconnect. Then you can go grab a co2 tank at a brew shop or airgas, and you're good!

I got my stuff from MoreBeer and AIH because they both have a variety of setups you can customize. And the tubing comes pre-clamped. Super simple. I've been very happy with the quality.

ETA: The folks above predicting you'll stop bottling are totally right. But I also agree bottling for parties is useful. I've found bottling from the keg to be infinitely easier than bottling the tradition way. Check out this thread for tips on that: We no need no stinking beer gun...

Also check this thread for how to cheaply make a fermenter that will let you easily keg beer without introducing oxygen: Turning your Fermonster into a complete closed transfer system for cheap!

Last edited:
Back