Kegging Woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskysibe

Reaction score
I don't know what the deal is but I suck at kegging or have the worst luck ever. So, I have blown a total of 30 lbs of CO2 over the past few weeks on 1 five gallon batch of beer. First I thought it was poppets so I switched kegs and changed poppets on the first keg. Dropped the gas again so I changed poppets on the second keg. Dropped gas again so I looked harder and saw gas escaping from 2 way manifold. Then I ran gas straight to the keg from the bottle and now there's gas escaping heavily from the poppet valve I just changed. Wtf? I am at a loss. Spent tons more money than I should have and I still don't have a working system. Headed to homebrew shop tomorrow to get some priming sugar, gonna have to bottle this batch until I figure this crap out.

Billy

Bring your setup into the LHBS and maybe they can help you. Make sure you are using o-rings where necessary and use keg lube.

Sounds like you have multiple leaks. Wipe all along the outside with a rag soaked in soapy water. Fix anywhere it bubbles.

Bring your setup into the LHBS and maybe they can help you. Make sure you are using o-rings where necessary and use keg lube.

I was in the same boat and this is what I finally did. Diagnosed some problems from the tank to regulator connection as well as one of the check valves which had a slow leak.

I was about to punch a baby after having to refill my CO2 tank every week.

Looks like I may be missing an oring on the disconnect or the dip tube. I will check it tonight.

Billy

the connection between tank and regulator is one leak that can be easy to overlook. the hard plastic washer is *supposed* to be replaced every time you remove the regulator from the tank. it normally doesnt have to be, but they arent meant to be reusable. that thing has to keep back 1200psi, so it gets clamped down pretty hard and can easily get warped or scratched if you are reusing it. on a new one, you will see a crush ridge on the face of the washer, which gets crushed to form a tight seal. after it gets crushed the first time, its less and less effective over subsequent uses as it does not spring back into shape.

Latest posts

Back