Kegging without Co2 tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezrohn

Reaction score
Can I transfer my brew directly to a 5 gallon Sankey Keg after priming and use my Bronco pump to pour the beer? Will this just mean my beer will go flat faster because I'm pumping air into the keg?

If you're pushing the beer with air it will stale in no time. If kept cold you'll probably get more than that 7-10 days cask conditioned "real ale" lasts but not much. If you're going to drink it quickly then it's not much of a problem. If it's going to take you several weeks/months to get through it then consider pushing it with CO2 if it's in your budget.

No problem priming a keg, but your beer will go flat and oxidize just like any keg tapped with a hand pump. Pretty sure they make some kind of things that use paintball or even the small CO2 ctgs for pushing beer though.

Consider a CO2 charger -- ~ $15-$20 and cartridges are pretty cheap... no worries of stale beer!

Thanks!!! My wife, errrr, my budget is pretty tight right now. I'll probably just continue bottling until I can get more equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back