Kegging resources

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

level-one

Reaction score
Hello. I've done a few batches of homebrew so far, and I've only bottled up to this point. I'm thinking maybe I'm ready to make the jump to kegging. Are there some good beginner resources or guides to kegging you recommend? I don't really know anything about it. I know you need a keg and some Co2 and there's some pressures you have to know, and a way to serve it. Hoping to keep it simple, not trying to have my own tap room or anything like that at this point!

American Homebrewer's Association has a good basic guide: “A Bottler’s Guide to Kegging” by Ed Westemeier (Summer 1995 Zymurgy)

Do you have a local homebrew shop? If so that may be a great starting point - they can show you the various parts, walk you through a full setup, and guide you as you get started. I remember being overwhelmed at first, and seeing the parts in person made it really easy to understand.

Basically you'll need:
- CO2 tank
- Regulator for the tank to control/adjust pressure coming out
- Gas lines from regulator to the keg(s)
- The keg(s)
- Beer lines from the keg to your faucet
- Faucets - I like picnic taps, cheap, simple, and effective.

https://www.morebeer.com/questions/268
Here is a tutorial that I wrote for the HomebrewSupply newsletter in 2015 but is now apparently copyrighted by morebeer lol

Oops! Did you (or the newsletter) give MoreBeer/MoreFlavor permission? Or was the newsletter tutorial somehow presented as public domain? BYO owns a fair chunk of my (former) intellectual property, but at least I got paid for it. I'm reminded of it whenever I try to google up one of the articles that is behind the paywall (for which I don't have a subscription).

Oops! Did you (or the newsletter) give MoreBeer/MoreFlavor permission? Or was the newsletter tutorial somehow presented as public domain? BYO owns a fair chunk of my (former) intellectual property, but at least I got paid for it. I'm reminded of it whenever I try to google up one of the articles that is behind the paywall (for which I don't have a subscription).
Nope, i sent the article to homebrewsupply but i was credited as the author when it was live on their site. They sold their URL and domain to Morebeer a couple years ago apparently, so they probably have every right to use it, just would be nice to have the author credit.

There are a number of things in the article I would change if i rewrote it anyway. That was back before liquid purging kegs was common practice (at least to my knowledge) and before homebrew conicals were common as well. So all in all it's not a fantastic article but it will get the basic points across

Latest posts

Back