Kegging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEDJARRETT

Reaction score
Just filled two Cornelius kegs, but still have one in the kegerator, and it only holds two. I typically stick them in the kegerator at 30 psi for about three days to carbonate. My question is this: does the new beer need to be immediately refrigerated? I have an extra co2 tank and regulator so I can pressurize one of the three kegs outside of the kegerator until I am ready for it. Will this work?

[...]My question is this: does the new beer need to be immediately refrigerated?

Pretend it's still fermenting, would it need refrigerating? Nope.

I have an extra co2 tank and regulator so I can pressurize one of the three kegs outside of the kegerator until I am ready for it. Will this work?

Sure, and in fact you could carb it to your desired level outside as easily as inside a kegerator. You just need to know the proper CO2 pressure for the temperature the outside keg will see...

Cheers!

Sure. You could also throw some sugar in the keg and carb naturally while it's sitting at room temp then when you have space you only need to get it cold and have drinkable carbed beer. But yes sitting in a keg at room temp is no worse off than sitting in your primary/secondary at room temp waiting for a keg to empty. Probably better since it will be a sealed vessel.

Sent from somewhere to someone

the colder the beer the better it absorbs the c02 but there's nothing wrong with letting it sit while you wait for space to clear up. Once it's carbed the beer will better absorb it when it gets cold. Sort of like bottling in that sense.

Back