kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillKing

Reaction score
I have been bottling for a while now and finally made the plunge and got a kegerator. I have an ipa in secondary and thought it would be perfect for my first keg. My question is do I still need to add priming sugar before I keg? Any other advice for kegging would be much appreciated

You could condition in the keg but most just force carbonate so you can drink it faster. Look up beer carbonation pressure charts and you'll be set. I love that I can force carbonate and be drinking the beer within a few days instead of waiting three weeks to drink it. It really just comes down to what you want.

Welcome to the world of kegging! If you condition in the keg (add priming sugar) don't put the keg in the kegerator. The ale yeast will be dormant at kegerator temps. You will have to wait about 2-3 weeks for the yeast to consume the priming sugar.

I like the kegerator because I can quickly keg my beer, purge the air out of the airspace with CO2 (pressurize, and open the relief valve 3 or 4 times) set the pressure at 13psi, and be drinking beer in a few days. If you want to rapidly carbonate your beer, read a few threads about rolling the keg under pressure, or other techniques to have the beer carbonated in about 24 hours.

Enjoy!

Welcome to the world of kegging! If you condition in the keg (add priming sugar) don't put the keg in the kegerator. The ale yeast will be dormant at kegerator temps. You will have to wait about 2-3 weeks for the yeast to consume the priming sugar.

I like the kegerator because I can quickly keg my beer, purge the air out of the airspace with CO2 (pressurize, and open the relief valve 3 or 4 times) set the pressure at 13psi, and be drinking beer in a few days. If you want to rapidly carbonate your beer, read a few threads about rolling the keg under pressure, or other techniques to have the beer carbonated in about 24 hours.

Enjoy!

Thanks, I have pinlock kegs so do I need to hook up the gas and put pressure to it, then take the connector off to release some pressure?

Thanks, I have pinlock kegs so do I need to hook up the gas and put pressure to it, then take the connector off to release some pressure?

Yes. Put on gas disconnect, pressurize, remove disconnect, depress poppet in post. Repeat a few times and you're all set.

Latest posts

Back