Kegging Mistakes & the Effects-

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1BigBear

Reaction score
First ever Kegging completed last night..
a Hoppy Red St Patty's day Ale

Seemed to work fine..

2 things I forgot to do...

1- Chill beer before adding co2
2- worse yet... I did not vent out trapt oxygen...

Forced carbed at 30psi for approx 12 hrs.
I vented the tank this am and then let it sit at 14psi for 4 hrs.

What could my possible/probable side effects be from these 2 separate mistakes.? :drunk:

yeah.. of course I just tasted it....

Tasted pretty good...over carbed a bit and needing more time to condition..
Do I have any long term worries.?

Should I do anything but just let it sit...?
Thxs

For the temp: I don't think it's much of an issue because at higher temp it takes more CO2 to get to the same volume that less CO2 would take at a lower temp. So it will equal itself out.

For the air: that's more of an issue. Essentially you pushed all that headspace of air into your beer and greatly risked oxidation. I have talked and heard of people who did that mistake and nearly all of them had cardboard tasting beer. So that's possibly what will happen to yours.

Just lessons to learn. You def should purge your keg 2-3 times before letting it fill up with CO2 to stay.

Look at a carbonation chart to know what I meant about the temp vs pressure thing.

- ISM NRP

Yeah, you're probably going to be experiencing some oxidation tastes in this beer. Better drink it fast.

Back