Kegging ipas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reineri6481

Reaction score
Hello all. I’d like to learn some of the reasonings for why my ipas taste better about a week after putting them into my serving kegs. I dry hop in the keg and close transfer the whole way through, to avoid oxygen. Once in the final keg I pressure over 48 hours and let the keg sit 5-7 days. I still find that the first pours lack aroma and taste a little light. About a week later the aroma comes full circle. What is the cause of this? Just trying to understand the science behind it. Or if I’m making a mistake somewhere potentially. Thanks!

Hello all. I’d like to learn some of the reasonings for why my ipas taste better about a week after putting them into my serving kegs. I dry hop in the keg and close transfer the whole way through, to avoid oxygen. Once in the final keg I pressure over 48 hours and let the keg sit 5-7 days. I still find that the first pours lack aroma and taste a little light. About a week later the aroma comes full circle. What is the cause of this? Just trying to understand the science behind it. Or if I’m making a mistake somewhere potentially. Thanks!
How are you dry hopping in the keg? I used to dry hop in a bag or in a canister, and had the same issue. Now I use a filter around the dip tube or a floating dip tube and have the opposite issue, the first few days have overpowering hop aroma and taste. Overall I'm much happier with the end result now.

Back