Kegging CO2 Tank Sizes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stylus1274

Reaction score
I am working on purchasing my first kegging set-up. My plan is to have 2 5 gallong kegs in my fridge.

I'm looking at CO2 tank options. Curious to suggestions on tank size. How much use can I expect out of a single 5 gallon CO2 tank pushing two 5 gallon kegs?

Should I go with a larger one?

Thanks

Being new to kegging and only having two kegs, I would say stay small. Here's why:
-good chance you will have a leak (I did) and will lose all your CO2 no matter what size bottle you have. Better off to lose a little then find your leak.
-with 2 kegs, a 5# bottle will last you a long time. Many batches....assuming you dont have a leak.
-home brew shops carry small bottles, so they are easy to exchange.
-they are small...so they are easy to deal with. I have mine shoved in the back of the fridge. They are also portable.

I went with a 5# tank. Refills are close and $12.99. I don't have to leave my tank or anything. I have 6 taps. It lasts me quite a while unless I have a leak.

Thanks guys. I think I will go with a 5er but based on what Canuck mentioned I'll check with my LHBS and getting tanks filled.

I started with one 5 pounder, then a second 5 pounder so as to always have a spare :)

After realizing a 20 pounder costs $17-$18 dollars to fill, and a 5 pounder costs around $15 dollars to fill, I have since purchased 2, 20 pounders on C'list. First one was $20, but needeed $15 cert. test, plus 18 to fill, so around $50 total. Second 20 pounder was a craigslist score, full of CO2 for $20 bucks, not the prettiest, but I'll exchange it.

My keezer is in my basement, so appearance is not an issue. If your keezer is in a nice room in the house, SWMBO may not like a big old 20 pounder next to the curio cabinet. haha

I think a 5 pounder will carb and push around 5-7 five gallon kegs.

I'll check with my LHBS and getting tanks filled.

Around here, it pays to go to an industrial gas supply that specializes in this type of thing....JME

As already mentioned about leaks, check and inspect twice for leaks with soap or star san bubbles on all the connections....It is a sad moment when you realize your full tank is GONE!

It also depends on how much room you have- a 10# fit fine in my fridge with 4 kegs, but they couldn't exchange that one (or fill it easily, I guess). The 5# fit in my fridge also, and I liked that a lot. I did end up with a 20# eventually- partly because the gas supply shop has tons of them around all the time and it's super easy to swap and it lasts over a year. It doesn't fit in my fridge, though, so I had to drill a hole for it. It takes up quite a bit of room next to my full sized fridge kegerator.

so look at what you have for space also when deciding!

It will be in my garage. There won't be room in the fridge for the CO2 and two 5 gallong kegs. Plenty of space though next to it in the garage though :)

I believe I get about 8-9 kegs carbed and pushed per 5 lbs of gas. I'd also vote 20# for your main tank if you've got the room, as mentioned its usually only a few bucks more than swapping/filling a 5#'er and it will last you a long time. The small tanks are nice though for portability, so keep that in mind if you're going to want to bring your kegs somewhere or do purging/CO2 racking in areas away from your kegerator. I've got one of each. As Yooper mentioned I'd avoid the less common sizes like 4 and 10# as you may have difficulty with exchange.

I would call your local gas provider [PraxAir, Fire & Safety place etc] to see what fill or exchange options you even have. I am glad someone made me do this. Like others I ended up going with a big 20LB tank as that was the only Cylinder they would straight exchange on site that I could guarantee certified Food Grade. My only other option was a 2 week wait on fills, or to use a Fire & Safety place to refill a 10LB, but can't certify it food grade. [Not that I really wanted to start that debate, to the masses there appears to be no difference only a certification]

20 lbs for me, one came almost full with my kegerator and I bought another one nearly full at a garage sale for $8. I'm in good shape for a long time.

I would go with the 20 pound tank but call your local gas refill places to see what they offer in your area. It would suck to purchase a shiny new C02 tank then have to trade it in for a used one when it comes time to refill.

I would go with the 20 pound tank but call your local gas refill places to see what they offer in your area. It would suck to purchase a shiny new C02 tank then have to trade it in for a used one when it comes time to refill.

Sadly, I got stuck in that situation, but kind of the opposite. It was cheaper for me to order a new 20LB Tank, swap, and pay for the fill, then it was to purchase the stock used tank and pay for the fill.

I have a few 5# tanks for my keezer and a 10# tank for general uses like carbing, liquid xfer, kegging, etc.

I agree about the leak thing. I'd rather lose 5# of CO2 than 10#, so I like the smaller tanks in my keezer. I have a 3-keg keezer and I swap tanks about once a year. I just use the CO2 to push the beer. I generally carb outside the keezer.

I've recently switch my CO2 supplier because I felt like I was getting scammed by them. I used to go to a welding shop. I think they overcharge when they find out you're a homebrewer. My first fill was ~$10. Last time I was there it was close to $30. I asked why and they mumbled something about fees and taxes. I'm not buying it.

I've switched to KegWorks. They charge $15 for a 5# tank and $25 for a 10# tank. No miscellaneous fees or hazardous waste taxes. They fill the tank right on the spot.

For what it's worth: If you have a CO2 leak, fix the leak. Losing 5 lbs or 20 lbs of CO2 is never fun, regardless of the price and the hassle of getting it refilled.

There's also a risk of suffocating by CO2 if the tank is inside the house, and it's quicker than you might think, as CO2 is heavier than air and will displace air on ground level. Think about when you're asleep and your level in regards to the floor.

MC

Back