Kegging and Carbonating How-To?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whisler85

Reaction score
I just got my first four cornies from UPS today, and im excited to keg my first brew

problem is, i dont have the equipment to carbonate yet (co2, regulator, tubing, etc)- the reason being, im not sure what to get

does anyone have a good how-to on putting together a regulator system and force carbonating my first batch? how to brew doesnt really cover force carbonating

[ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=setting+up+cornelius+keg+system"]Try this technique![/ame] :)

if I force carb my beer at the recommended psi for its temperature say that magic number is 26 psi for that particular brew. Does it all get dispensed at the same pressure( turn it down to serve) or does the pressure for that beer stay at 26 even to pour? While it seems this would be a crazy pour I have yet to see a clear answer.
So, help a dummy out. :mug:

i had the same question for my LHBS and the guy didnt give me a clear answer- but the impression i get is that if you dont keep it at the carbonating pressure eventually you lose that carbonation

if I force carb my beer at the recommended psi for its temperature say that magic number is 26 psi for that particular brew. Does it all get dispensed at the same pressure( turn it down to serve) or does the pressure for that beer stay at 26 even to pour? While it seems this would be a crazy pour I have yet to see a clear answer.
So, help a dummy out. :mug:

Yes, if you balance your lines, though, you'll have longer lines to counteract the higher pressure.

Generally, though, for most beers in the "kegerator" temperature zone, you're looking at 9-12 psi for most beers. Those will give you a fine pour with 6-10 feet of line. There are charts for balancing your lines, and they work well!

I keep mine right around 10 psi for most of my beers and I use 8 feet of line. My kegerator is around 40 degrees.

Back