Kegging a Sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayden80

Reaction score
I brewed a wild ale style sour with Brett as well as the dregs from a Prairie sour before I deployed to Afghanistan last March. The beer has been working its magic for almost a year now, and I'll be home after a 1 year deployment in early April. This is the first sour I've brewed so I have a few questions regarding packaging the beer upon my return. The plan is to age the beer on some type of fruit (I'm thinking maybe apricots) for a couple months after I get home but then I was thinking about kegging the beer versus bottling it. My question is, can this be done without the risk of contaminating future batches? I have separate equipment for sours BUT only one kegerator. Do I not risk it and just bottle it or is there a way it can be sterilized?

You can keg the sour. Try to avoid spilling the beer inside the kegerator -- the bugs shouldn't get into the other kegs, but I guess maybe they could infect your tubing if you leave them flailing around unattached to a keg...maybe? That said, if you plan to run a clean beer through the same line after the sour you'll need to give the line a thorough cleaning and sanitizing; you might even need to replace any plastic parts -- tubing, disconnects, keg o-rings, etc. The keg, shank, and faucet can all be sanitized with a proper line cleaner and sanitizer; the plastic/porous parts could harbor bugs. Or just dedicate the line to sours and call it a day!

I'm sure someone out there does just fine with BLC and StarSan, but I usually tend toward moderate OCD when it comes to sanitation.

Thanks for the response. I, too, am VERY OCD when it comes to sanitization which is why I am so hesitant to try this. I figured someone here would have an answer. I DO have a keg dedicated to sours. I mean I do now at least.

Seeing as it takes months to sour a beer, I don't think any small amount of yeast living in your beer line is going to have enough time working on your subsequent non-sour beer to make a noticeable difference.

That being said... for beers that are going to leave behind remnants I don't want in most of my other beers, I just use a picnic tap. I have to open the fridge to get a glass instead of pouring off a tap on a kegerator, but there are no worries about cross contamination. I use the tap for chile beers as well to avoid making one of the lines in my kegerator spicy.

Back