Keggerator and Laggering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runnermikedmd

Reaction score
I just purchased a 8 cu ft chest freezer that I plan to add a Johnson controler to it so I can put 3 or so kegs in there. I was also hoping to use this to lagger (mostly for an oktoberfest) as well. Is there anyway to handel the temperature requirements for both of these conditions in one freezer? Adding a second freezer will just take up too much space in my apartment. I know it wont be ideal, but whats the best way to handle this situation? Thanks!

Well, lagering would be no problem. I like to lager at 34 degrees, but it'd be fine at kegerator temps. Fermentation might be an issue, though. Most lager yeast ferment at 48-54 degrees or so. That's a bit warm for a kegerator, but if you don't mind that, you can ferment a lager in that range.

I like to ferment at 50 degrees for about 2 weeks, then rack to the secondary and slowly lower the temperature (5 degrees per day) until I'm at 34 degrees for about 8 weeks. If you don't mind changing the temperature of your kegerator, then you could do it in the same freezer.

So as long as I dont mind slightly warmer beer and changing my CO2 pressure (and dealing with a little extra foam on occasion), I should be able to ferment and lagger in the kegerator? Not ideal, I know, but better than nothing!

Back