kegger problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F_R_O_G

Reaction score
I have a 5 tap keezer that is run off a 5lb co2 tank and a stc-1000. I get intermittent leaks. it will be fine for a few months then all the co2 just disappears. goes from 900psi to 5psi. I'm thinking that the cold cycles may have an effect on it. maybe ice crystals form and loosen the nuts, i have found that the big nut on the regulator to tank is slightly loose even though i remember tightening it tight. i have my keezer set to 38f (3.5c) with a .5c window. but it will drop to 35.6f (2c) and form a little ice on the bottom. so my question is, has anyone had similar issues and what did you do to fix it, if anything?

Sounds like you're just running out of CO2 from use. What you're describing is normal. The tank gauge is next to worthless for telling you how much CO2 you have left in the tank. It will read full (about 500 PSI if stored inside the fridge, a bit higher if stored outside) and then drop like a rock as soon as the liquid CO2 is gone and only gas remains in the tank. The only way to tell how much liquid CO2 is in your tank is to weigh it and compare against the tare weight stamped on the tank.

I guess i should of added this part. I know I have a slight leak, I pressurize the system, then turn off the tank and a few hours later I'm at 5 psi. (it must be very small I can't seem to find it this time so i just tightened everything and am currently retesting)

I guess i should of added this part. I know I have a slight leak, I pressurize the system, then turn off the tank and a few hours later I'm at 5 psi. (it must be very small I can't seem to find it this time so i just tightened everything and am currently retesting)
Soap bubbles did not help?

I'll figure out the leak for now but I'm wondering if anyone else has ran into issues of random leaks.

Stick around long enough and you'll see the range of experiences runs from those who dump multiple tanks of gas all the way to those who never lose an ounce.

Just out of interest, are you using pin lock or ball lock kegs?

Cheers!

Befor replacing everything, I would suggest disassembling everything down to removal of poppets, o rings, etc. and reassemble everything. Sometimes even something small like a misaligned poppet can cause a leak.

thanks for the suggestions, but what I'm really looking for is if anyone else has had problems with nuts coming loose due to temperature swings. I guess not many people have that problem so I think i have a very small leak....

Nuts shouldn't loosen with the temperature. It's only a few degrees of swing anyway. If you're concerned, you could always use some thread sealer for peace of mind.

thanks for the suggestions, but what I'm really looking for is if anyone else has had problems with nuts coming loose due to temperature swings. I guess not many people have that problem so I think i have a very small leak....

Metal does expand and contract with hot and cold but one side of the fitting would need to be frozen and the other side would need to be heated to a few hundred degrees to make much difference. I've heated the engine case of a motorcycle in the oven and frozen a bearing to get the bearing in without a press. So a few degrees isn't going to do anything and even if it did they are the same temp and would expand or contract the same. A more likely cause of a nut becoming loose is you moving things around and working it loose. I have done that working a hose onto a barb and it coming loose. You could put some teflon tape in the threads where you think you may have a leak but bottom line your going to have to find the leak and soapy water or star san solution is the best way to do that. Try cranking the pressure on your regulator to max.

now I'm dealing with 2 problems. 1) loosening nuts, not sure why there loosening but I'll just tighten them when needed. 2) very small leak, possible to small to make much difference

would anyone like to do a test for me?

I test my system for leaks by pressurizing the system and removing the couplers from the kegs. I then close the tank valve. After about 2 hour I would see a loss of pressure on the high side and complete loss of pressure after a day. Would someone like to perform the same test and give me there results? I feel like I might be chasing ghosts. If others have the same results that I might just deal with it.

Are you tightening these "nuts" with your fingers, or an actual wrench?
Hopefully the latter, and don't be a ***** about it, you can reef down on flare fittings pretty darned tight. I've never, ever had any "nut" on any of my gas systems loosen.

Dunk the couplers in water while you're doing that "test". That'll eliminate a lot.

The rest of the test is suspect, if only because tank valves aren't necessarily designed to maintain downstream pressure with the valve closed...

Cheers!

Back