Starting my fast and loose keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elric

Reaction score
Started on my fast and loose keezer today. Fast and loose because I don’t have all the right tools and care more about function over form. Found some vinyl planking discarded near my house so grabbed a few planks. Measured and cut to fit my 5 cubic foot freezer. Didn’t bother gluing it to the freezer, just stuck camper seal tape on it and let that and weight keep the frame in place. Added camper tape top and bottom and left a small gap at one corner to stick my temp probe cable through to save drilling. This was just a couple hours work today. Still need to drill a hole for tubing so I can start storing the co2 tank outside the keezer and plan to eventually have three taps setup on it but until I order them I will keep with the picnic taps. Been running for three hours or so now, and so far the temp cycle seems to be roughly the same As it was before I added the collar so looks like it is pretty good for thermal retention. Kind of like the black on white contrast it gives...
C5D8C3D3-7FAB-4E49-BE43-A7E8DACFB203.jpeg
58058CEC-0FBD-4C98-AEB0-B9BE193C9271.jpeg

Drilled a 5/16” hole to pass some gas tubing through this evening and now have the gas sitting outside the keezer. also ordered all the goodies to setup the taps. Should be a full on proper keezer in a week or two!

Nice work! Looks pretty thick for vinyl planking, Did you use two pieces glued together for each side?

Nice work! Looks pretty thick for vinyl planking, Did you use two pieces glued together for each side?
Nope, just one all the way around. The single plank is already basically the same thickness As the side walls of the freezer. I was planning to add some rigid insulation if I felt it was losing too much chill, but it’s holding well so far.

Iirc, those plastic planks are "5/4", so actual thickness is likely one inch...

Cheers!
Yeah they are 1.25 so 5/4 as you say. The lip on the sides of the freezer are only about 1.5” wide so a plank covers most of it. If you look at the pics you can see that it almost immediately drops down to a lower height right past where they sit.

Couple of updates today, getting everything ready as I’ve gone ahead and ordered my taps and should be getting them next week. Playing around i was able to get a 4th keg in so while I have three taps on order I have asked for a fourth for christmas so need to plan my spacing to support four total. Added some insulation on the inside and bought some dry erase stick on sheeting that I stuck to the top so I have somewhere to list what’s on tap, in bottles and fermenting.
3FDBA680-3321-4965-AFE9-725AA2C1A7D9.jpeg
F9EFA6B6-6913-45D0-82A5-E9AF9C273CE4.jpeg

Taps arrived early today, so I wasted no time drilling out the collar and getting them installed. Three nukataps in. After I ordered them I sicovered I actually have enough room for a fourth tap and am getting the parts from my Mom as a Christmas present, so left the space for it on the far left. Ran star san through each line and then a quick spurt of beer from each to make sure they were good, but the second pic is my first full pint from tap of my milk stout. I’m a happy camper!
39E0F0FD-E206-4B3E-BC79-61A397C10A04.jpeg
0DF4F4FC-6A5C-4D08-944A-6F35C8D16A3B.jpeg

Back