kegged beer undercarbed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judge

Reaction score
howdy folks...

I have a SMaSH ale (MO/EKG -- OG 1.060/FG 1.011) that has been in the keg for 14 days now. It is still undercarbed. I have done this recipe before with no problems. I'm shooting for 2.4 volumes. The keg is at 40 degrees and has been at 11psi for 14 days. There are no leaks in the system and the CO2 tank is still full (yes, the valves are open).

Is this just a lack of patience on my part or might there be a problem?

It should be carbed @ 14 days. Are you knowledgeable about carbing to know what 2.4 tastes/feels like? Just asking in case you are new to it. Otherwise you might have a leak you aren't detecting. You got the numbers correct. Is the equipment new? Could be the regulator is not accurate and you are under pressurized.

Make sure you aren't losing carbonation in your pour...what length is your beer line. I found that if I served with the pressure set at 12 psi/40F and used the 5' of 3/16 beer line that came with my keg kit, I got a lot of foam but the beer was pretty flat. I switched to a 12' long 3/16" line and now can server at 12 psi with good head and carbonation.

Are you knowledgeable about carbing to know what 2.4 tastes/feels like?
Yes.

Otherwise you might have a leak you aren't detecting.
Could be but a spray-down with StarSan hasn't shown any leaks. I'll keep checking.

Is the equipment new?
No, it's about a year old with 30+ batches.
Could be the regulator is not accurate and you are under pressurized.
Maybe, but the other kegs in the system seem to be fine.

Make sure you aren't losing carbonation in your pour...what length is your beer line.
Beer lines are 10 feet of 3/16 tubing. I had the same problems as you with the lines that came with the kit. Longer lines solved the problem and have worked well except for this particular batch. :confused:

So it does taste carb'd just not highly enough for what you were after?

Cuz all your numbers look right to me too...I guess give it a few more days before you pull another sample.

So it does taste carb'd just not highly enough for what you were after?

Cuz all your numbers look right to me too...I guess give it a few more days before you pull another sample.

Yes, it has SOME carbonation, but it's very light, not what I was shooting for. Waiting a little longer seems to be the solution. I'm just puzzled why it has only happened with this particular batch?

Back