Kegerator towers vs. Taps through the door

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brizzo

Reaction score
I have been researching kegerators and i have noticed that on the mini fridges everyone seems to go with a tower through the top and with the keezers is seems like people are evenly split with towers or going through the front or side panel of the freezer.

My question is is there any issue with running the faucets through the front door of a mini fridge? I am lookinng at picking up the danby 440 4.4 cuft from samclub and i have two perlicks that came out of a used kegerator that were run through the door so i have the stainless steel shanks and all the hardware. SWMBO likes the looks of the taps coming through the door better then a tall tower through the top.

What are the advantages or disadvantages to both? is it just personal preference?

I ran my tap through the fridge door. Only real issue is how low the faucet is. Not really a big deal though.

Space could be an issue. If the kegs are tight against the door, there may be no room for taps.

Also, you have the beer lines that will be in the way when you open the door.

On the other hand, towers need to be cooled or you can have some foaming issues. And, they can be expensive.

There are a few reasons to go with a tower on a mini fridge.
1: really low to be taping a beer (you bend down after a few you might fall and ont get back up to drink it)
2: you are taking space up with your shank through the door
3: lines get in the way even on my large fridge (in the process of fixing that)
If you go the tower route, you will need to figure out something to cool the tower/lines. I built a tower cooler (before I even started the rest of the kegerator on a mini fridge) out of a little plastic box and a computer fan for about $1.00 (wire nuts). I've also seen people just put foam on the lines to keep the cool in and heat out.
To me, its simple, make a tower, stay out of the door. Cheers, good luck and keep us posted.

Back