Kegerator temperature issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jas10

Reaction score
Hello all, wanted to try to get help from the pros here - I've had a Haier model HBF05EABB for 15 months that has never given me major problems until now. I have a temp control/sensor, small fan, tower cooling fan and an eva-dry dehumidifier inside. This week the temp rose up to 48-52 so I tried defrosting, then put the keg back in once kegerator hit 40 degrees. Again the temp only got down to 48 with the keg inside, so I tried defrosting again (although the back didn't feel like it was frozen) and put the keg (made sure it was dry) back in at 40 degrees - temp still sitting at 52 degrees. I've searched everywhere for a solution as to why the kegerator would get to the right temp without the keg, but rise with it in, so any help is appreciated!

What do you stick your temperature probe into/on? Wondering what would happen if you tape it to the keg and insulate the outside of where it’s taped.
Also, what do you have the temp controller’s compressor protection setting set to? I wonder if you accidentally had it set too low and burnt out the compressor. I set all of mine to 6 minutes after I accidentally had it set to 1 for a couple months unknowingly and burnt out a compressor.

I have the sensor taped to left inside wall at the bottom and the temp setting at 38 - not quite sure how to tell what the compressor protection setting is but looks like it may have been set at 2 minutes. Do you think that would that make a difference as to why the kegerator still got down to 40 without the keg in it? Thank you for the response

I have the sensor taped to left inside wall at the bottom and the temp setting at 38 - not quite sure how to tell what the compressor protection setting is but looks like it may have been set at 2 minutes. Do you think that would that make a difference as to why the kegerator still got down to 40 without the keg in it? Thank you for the response
I think taping it to the wall is an inefficient method, since there may be a cooling coil inside/near that part of the wall. In other words, that part of the wall might be getting to your set temp but that doesn’t reflect the actual temp of other parts of the chamber, including your keg. Best practice is to tape it to a beer bottle/can and insulate the outside of the probe with a chunk of styrofoam.

Which model temp controller do you have? The compressor protection setting is often abbreviated “CP” or something like that. 2 minutes is not enough time for the compressor to recover, especially if it’s having a hard time keeping a stable temp, leading to rapid cycling and early failure.

I have a Inkbird ITC-308, and it does look like it's been on the default setting of 2 minutes. I will up that and also try rearranging the probe like you said - hopefully that gets everything back to normal. Thanks for your help!

I have a Inkbird ITC-308, and it does look like it's been on the default setting of 2 minutes. I will up that and also try rearranging the probe like you said - hopefully that gets everything back to normal. Thanks for your help!
How’d the probe location change work out?

Back