Kegerator temp question frigidaire

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rynd96

Reaction score
Just getting set up to keg and have a question, I have a frigidaire 4.6 fridge that I'm going to have two kegs in. I don't have the kegs yet but have been monitoring the temp in the fridge the past week or so. I have one of the cheap fridge thermometers and it has been reading 35 placed in the center. So I got a more reliable thermometer thinking the other was off several degrees but it looks like it was only off 1 degree.

By the way I have the fridge set on the lowest power, in this case 1.

My question is once I put two full kegs in there for a couple days, is the temp going to go up, down, or stay the same. My logic says it will come back up to the same temp, but my logic is often faulty.

I'm planning on serving around 40 and it is begining to look like I will need a temp controller but wanted to get your opinions first.

have you tried the other side of the power setting? 10 instead of 1? it may be backwards and 1 is the coldest.

as for the temp, it's going to go up because of the large mass/volume of beer at room temp going in. it will equalize at the temp you want eventually. once the beer is cold it will help keep the fridge cold because large quantities of beer don't want to quickly change temp. =)

i have my frigidaire on 5 and it fluctuates between 39 and 40 which has been perfect. Assuming you never open the fridge, it should eventually equalize at 40F with kegs in there I would think.

I tried the other end of the temp gauge and it just got colder, I guess my fridge is on roids

I've got a Frigidaire as well (the one from Lowes people have been talking about in here). Mine holds at about 38-40 when set between 1 and 2 with 2 full kegs in it.

I believe you get a more accurate temp reading if you take the temperature of a liquid inside the fridge. When I first got my fridge, I stuck my gravity-reading cylinder in the fridge filled with water and a digital thermometer probe in the water. First it froze, then it got too warm, and then I dialed in at 38.

I know you've gone through 2 thermometers already, but maybe try one in a liquid?

I have a couple of therms with probes but didn't think they would be accurate at low temps, but I will give it a try in liquid. Also while checking temps I've noticed a 5-6 degree difference in temp depending on placement of the therm. I get 41 in the door, 35-36 near the back on the hump, I thought there would be a difference due to the coolant lines but that seems like a large difference for such a small space. I guess once the kegs and tank go in that may change and the temp may even out. Allthough I'm now thinking I'll need some sort of fan to even out the temp.

Back