Kegerator Line Length?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bk2X

Reaction score
Ok so I previously had the issue of the fluid line just being gas and it turned out I had my connections on backwards.

Now that I have fluid flowing and have had it sitting on co2 for almost a week and a half, I am still uncertain if my system is correct.

The kegerator is set at 35-36 degrees as everyone around me that drinks beer wants it ice cold. The beer is a wheat beer with co2 set at 12 psi from the get go with probably 4.5 ' of 3/16" beer line (local brew shop only sells 5' and i just snipped the sankey tap off) to the faucet.

I have had quite a few taste tests done and we all have come to the conclusion that the beer hits you right off the bat with the gas taste and is not quite absorbed into the beer. What is the process of correcting the taste and balancing my system out for future brews?

If you can taste the gas it's probably overcarbed. If it is you will have to purge the keg multiple times. How did you carb it?

12psi at about 35*F is about 2.8 volumes CO2. I don't really see overcarbonation being an issue here. Are you sure it's not the beer itself? Have you brewed that recipe before and it was fine? If you haven't, I'd guess it's the beer. Light colored wheat beer I assume? What water did you use? Tap?

I carbed it by putting the lid on the keg after filling with beer, hooking gas line to it and then pressure up. Once pressured up, I purged the co2 off to get the oxygen out then pressured up to 12 psi and its been that way for 10 days.

It is a dark wheat beer (brewers best dunkelweizen) first time to brew. We used 2.5 gal jugs of drinking water from the grocery store. The tap is pin lock with a perlick 525ss.

We were very anal about taking care of the bacteria issue by sanitizing and cleansing everything we touched. What would tainted beer taste like?

For me that would be too much carbonation, soda like. That is a personal preference. When did you brew the beer? Could be too young (green), which is contributing to your overall impression of gas taste. I'd lower the psi somewhat and give it more time to absorb and age.

We brewed it Jan 8 and let it sit in the conical for 2 weeks to ferment

You really need more time. Mid Feb would be the earliest I'd even consider drinking it, probably longer than that.

btw - Just realized that according to style you'd actually be undercarbed for a Dunkleweizen.

Ok sounds good , guess ill buy a twin tap tower and get something else going in the meantime. Appreciate your help.

Back