Kegerator is Too Cold!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sasquatch84

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I recently finished my igloo fr464 kegerator conversion and am having issues with the cold temps. I froze my water glass solid overnight, not sure if it was enough time to freeze the keg as well. I have unplugged it, but am keeping an eye on the temperatures and plugging it back in periodically. I have a kegged cerveza inside that is carbing (via co2, slow and low).

When the fridge had a chance to warm up, I set the thermostat control at 1 (was at 3), 4 hours later the water was 33.

I blew the budget already so there is no room to get an external thermostat. Are there any other tricks to raising the temps without leaving the door open?

What about a timer on the plug running 12 hours on, 12 hours off? Would this damage the fridge?

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Are you sure 1 is warmest vs 1 is coldest? Fridges obviously aren't designed to have the warmest setting below freezing.

BTW - you can get external controllers for under $20. You don't need to top of the line version.

Thanks Bill, can you recommend a cheap controller? What is the installation like?

From the various forums, 7 is the coldest setting and 1 the warmest, 0 defrost, but I will do a test to be sure.

Mike

Look into the STC-1000. You can direct wire it in, but I wouldn't recommend that. You can just take a heavy duty extension cord and cut it in half and put the controller in the middle. That way, you aren't messing with the actual fridge. Installation is easy if you have some basic skills - basically just follow a wiring diagram ie put this wire in this slot, tighten.

Thanks again Bill,

I have ordered the STC-1000 and have two days to figure out the wiring. I have some old extension cords that can be used and am comfortable with minor electrical projects. I am not sure in this case where the stc-1000 connects to the current cooling system, do I need to remove the current thermostat and connect from there?

Mike

As you're in the rather unique situation of having a "too cold" fridge, you only need to set the fridge thermostat to "too cold", plug the fridge into the external controller, and let it take control. It will shut off the fridge compressor at your chosen, warmer, set point. This is essentially what those of us using freezers do...

Cheers!

Thanks day_tripper.

Will this effect the life of my kegerator compressor? She already has quite a few miles on her.

If you use an external controller with an "anti-short-cycle" function (as found on the popular STC-1000, Johnson A419, MH1210 - but missing on the two Ranco units often referred to on HBT) and set its time-out to something greater than say 10 minutes there should be no harm. I have two fridges and a keezer all running like this without issue...

Cheers!

I have built a couple of stc controllers using this video. This is making it a dual stage controller (either turns fridge on or a heating device ie lamp on). You may not need the heating part unless your setup is in a garage in the winter but it only takes a few extra steps to have the function. I used black project box from radioshack with a black outlet rather than the gray box and white outlet he uses. Makes it look a lot cleaner in my opinion and the radioshack box was only $1-$2 more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. I like the idea of just plugging in the controller. Would this mean I can build a smaller project box with only one single outlet? I would like to limit the size of this unit if possible.

The stc should arrive on Friday. Trying to keep the keg balanced as best I can, or should I just let the keg warm up and cool it down later this week. It is carbing at 12psi for its reveal Saturday.

Great idea. I'm going to take that design on! Thanks very much. Il post a photo when it's done!

Here is the best wiring diagram I have seen for the STC-1000. Not my diagram so credit goes to BeerGrylls
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/st...ntroller-build-330427/index7.html#post5686707
161693d1385080903-stc-1000-ebay-temperature-controller-build-stc1000.jpg

Since I only need one stage (cold), can I wire this with a single plug? This would allow me to use a smaller project box.

Yes. I wired the first one I bought up to just cold side and one plug. Works fine, just leave out the hot side wiring stuff and dont bother breaking the tab unless you want an always on socket too (for a fan or whatever)

Thanks for your helpful comments everyone. Here is my temporary solution while I search for a similarly sized project box. This is just the box it came in wrapped in electrical tape ( inside and out). It'll get me through the weekend though. Just tapped my first kegged cerveza and am enjoying the benefits of homebrew!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398484003.593834.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1398484022.155758.jpg

Those stc fit quite nicely inside a light switch box and you can trim a slider light switch trim plate to fit behind the bezel of the stc. Makes a cheap project box that doesn't look too bad

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back