Kegerator is not pouring beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tmac027

Reaction score
I have an old kegerator I bought from a friend, the CO2 tank and regulator are small and old. The CO2 tank was just tested. It works well. I left the kegerator off for about 1 and 1/2 months. Today I got a keg, cleaned everything and put it all back together. I went to pour my first draft, nothing came out. I knew there was co2 in the tank and checked. Untapped and tapped multiple times. Played with the pressure, and still nothing. No leaks anywhere i could find and I watched the beer slowly move through the hose. Yet nothing came out. Please help I am pretty new to this.

Is there pressure in the keg? Do you have the regular adjusted properly? It might be turned all the way down and not letting any pressure through.

if you pull the pressure relief valve do you get a pssssssssssshht?
what psi did you carb the beer at and for how long?
whats your regulator set to?

if you pull the pressure relief valve do you get a pssssssssssshht?
what psi did you carb the beer at and for how long?
whats your regulator set to?
My regulator doesn't work great, but 9 psi. And I do get the noise when I pull the valve

Did you buy a keg of beer or did you keg your homebrew? Ball lock, pin lock, or sanke? Did you get your gas and beer lines crossed? I would love to see a picture of your setup.

Is there any valve between the regular and the keg? If so is it open? And your sure there is pressure in the tank?

do you have a tap or a picnic tap?
when you open it absolutely nothing comes out?
are you sure you are hooked to the out on the keg?
is your tap clogged?
9psi seems low, i have 12feet of line and run 12psi on my kegs.
8psi on my picnic taps in my other kergerator.
have your taps worked in the past? I bought cheap quick connects once and they were not drilled out all the way and only poured foam.

Here's my guesses (assuming corny kegs):

1. Clogged dip tube. Try moving your black connect to the co2 line and blast it throught the "out" post with 20psi, then try again to pour.
2. Clogged poppit. Take the post off the "out" side (relieve any pressure first!) and disassemble, might be hop crap stuck in the poppit.
3. Beer not completely carbonated. You will still get the "psshhhht" but if there isn't enough co2 pressure it won't pour.
4. Connector not fully pushed down onto the post (I've had this happen more times than I care to count). Make sure the collar part clicks all the way down.

In my case, the dip tube was clogged with hop resin. If it is a ball lock Cornelius keg, you can unscrew the ball locks and disassemble them to clean. Good oppy to replace o-rings too. I now disassemble mine every third use or so. It also allows you to straighten and properly line up the dip tube to the keg bottom dimple or lowest point if it was bent.

Do you have the correct line on the correct post? The long diptube is on the "out" post, and the connecter for that is black. The short diptube in on the "in" side and the connector for that is gray. (Black= beer Gray=gas). It sounds like the diptubes are switched or something.

do you have a tap or a picnic tap?
when you open it absolutely nothing comes out?
are you sure you are hooked to the out on the keg?
is your tap clogged?
9psi seems low, i have 12feet of line and run 12psi on my kegs.
8psi on my picnic taps in my other kergerator.
have your taps worked in the past? I bought cheap quick connects once and they were not drilled out all the way and only poured foam.
I have about 5 feet of line, previously I've kept the pressure between 8-12 with no problems. I have a regular tap. When I open i normally hear a small gurgle or release of gas then maybe about 15 seconds later a few drips come out as foam

Did you buy a keg of beer or did you keg your homebrew? Ball lock, pin lock, or sanke? Did you get your gas and beer lines crossed? I would love to see a picture of your setup.
Bought a keg of labaat blue, ill post a picture shortly

is your liquid quick connect clogged or your out post?
I try to clean my quick connects every 4th keg, take them apart and soak in some PBW.
But I run boiling water through the lines before sanitizing the lines before every keg.

is your liquid quick connect clogged?
I try to clean my quick connects every 4th keg, take them apart and soak in some PBW.
But I run boiling water through the lines before sanitizing the lines before every keg.
Yes I took the quick connect all apart and cleaned everything in it.

Bought a keg of labaat blue, ill post a picture shortly
20200530_181331.jpg

In the pic showing your bottle and regulator you have the bottle laying on its side. Are you trying to serve beer with the bottle in this position? The bottle must be upright so that liquid C02 doesn’t get into the valve and regulator. You need gas flowing to the regulator, not liquid.

If you haven’t already, try to determine if you have gas reaching the Sanke adapter which attaches to the keg. Start at the bottle. Disconnect the regulator and crack the valve on the bottle to see if gas comes out. If you have gas coming out of the bottle, reconnect the regulator and disconnect the gas line going to the adapter. Make sure the jam nut on the adjusting screw is backed all the way out and turn the adjusting screw all the way in. Crack the valve again to see if gas is flowing through the regulator. If you have gas coming out of the regulator, disconnect the gas line from the adapter, to see if gas is reaching the adapter.

If you have gas reaching the keg, do the same process on the liquid side, starting at the keg. Disconnect each connection, in the order of flow. Doing a one-step-at-a-time troubleshooting process gives you a better chance of tracking down the source of the problem.

Good catch, Giggs. It’s probably been 3 or 4 years since I used a Sanke tap. I was thinking about process instead of looking for the obvious. Easy mistake to make if one is unfamiliar.
Yeah, haven't used it in quite awhile

Frozen lines is my bet - turn your temp up a couple degrees and/or make sure your lines are not touching the kegerator walls
Just fixed a friend's kegerator in about 45 seconds for the same issue. Beer out was resting on the coil, securely held by a chunk of ice.

Back