kegerator idea validation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donthoseme

Reaction score
Hello all! As i've posted before i'm working on building a new keggorator. I have an idea i wanted to run by all you experienced do it yourselfers.

My issue - My 12 tap beer tower makes it so i can't lift the lid without pulling the keggorator out two feet from the wall. Not ideal because i'm about to get in the house keggorator privilates vice in the garage. soooooooooo.

The idea - Build a box that the keggorator will fit inside of. The big difference between mine and the others i've seen.........Mine will open outward!!!

Is this do-able. I want a nice overhand on the top and i want to have the hinges hidden. I am trying to visualize how i can do this. Any help or anybody who has done this would be appreciated. Do you all think this can work? I feel like this could help solve a difficult problem.

Or put your chest freezer on wheels and make the top with tower and cabinet stationary. Make the front removable so you can slide the freezer out to maintenance it.

You could have the top tilt up a marginal amount to allow the hoses to clear as you pull the freezer forward and to get in there to change a disconnect or something simple.

Keep in mind if you enclose the freezer in a box, you need to provide adequate ventilation for the pump and motor....

12 taps on a tower?

Might be over kill.... but you could move some less common taps to a collar to lighten the load on the hinges.

You could:
1) Turn the freezer around
2) Mount the tower facing the rear
3) Open the lid away from the wall

The only problems are the rear usually isn't as good looking as the front and the inside contents can only be accessed from the sides. The up side is that it costs nothing.

Good luck!

I'm definiteley going to try and build it so it looks like it's facing forward except when i go to open it then BLAM! It opens forward. I'll just have to make sure it has a good blower fan on the bottom and that i hide the hinges well.

Gotcha. Sorry, for some reason I apparently didn't understand your first post correctly.

The box is going to be in the way of the lid when you open it so my ideas for that are:
1) Put the "box" surrounding the freezer on wheels so you can slide it out of the way when you open the freezer.
2) Have the front top of the box fold down out of the way.

I think 1) will look better.

Hmm that's an interesting idea. Looks like i'll put all these into planning stages and see what looks best.

Latest posts

Back