Kegerator help please...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete00000

Reaction score
I recently bought a Nostalgics KRS2000. Its my first kegerator. I have been buying 1/4 kegs of bud. It took awhile to get things adjusted. However most of my last barrel turned to foam and went flat. Temp is 38-40. Pressure has been about 11-12. The beer seems mostly clear as it leaves the barrel but turns to foam as it gets near the tower. I also going thru more C02 than I should. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

turn up the PSI on the regulator a few pounds, excess foaming that ends up flat is from undercarbonating the keg while tapped.

Thanks. Should I be turning the gas off when I am not drinking or untapping the keg?

not necessary, the way it works is that once the pressure normalizes it not "pushing" any more CO2 into the keg.

Is it normal for there to some bubbles in the line when its leaving the keg? I have read where the temp near the tower can also be a problem. Thanks for your help.

that is the next step to cool the tower with an internal fan, but bubbles in the line generally is a CO2 level issue.

If you're going through more C02 than you should be - I'd also check for any leaks with some soapy water at every connection. You can sometimes just listen for leaks but soapy water finds it everytime

I agree with everything said here. I'm not sure what comes with the unit, but I'd check for leaks, make sure you have the proper length of beer line, and cool the tower so that it's not "warm" (that can cause foaming).

If you're losing CO2, check for leaks... soap water or submerge under water. Use plumber's tape wherever you can on the gas side.

Most commercial kegerators have 5' of beverage line, I think changing it out to 7-8' will help your foaming problem a lot. Cooling the tower will help as well, but if you are seeing bubbles in the liquid out line, the resistance of the line is too low....

I fought changing my keg lines from what came with the kegerator to a longer length. I added a fan to blow the cold air off the chill plate into the tower, added additional foam to help with insulation. I finally gave up and changed out the shorter lines to 10ft. Foaming has all but went away.

If you think you're going through too much co2 then I would spray each connection with star san or soapy water and check for bubbles. Sometimes you have to pay close attention because the leak can be very very small.

Back