Kegerator / Fridge Outside all winter. Freezing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjackson

Reaction score
Hey guys. Alright, so I have a kegerator. It's a converted full-size fridge with 4 taps and a freezer section that I keep pint glasses and hops stored.

The freezer is in my enclosed porch which is basically a roof and floor and walls with 3 corners of it screened in about 4 feet tall. Hard to explain I know. here's a photo:

7055473229_aab48b87e2_b.jpg

The kegerator is where my grill was so the coils are enclosed (not exposed) but it's basically "outside" for this question. It can get rained on / feel the wind.

7365877110_379b52f87b_b.jpg

------

So, the low last year was about 30 below and that lasts for 2 weeks or so. I'm up just south of Canada at 900 Feet elevation. From October - May, it can get below freezing and for most of christmas, I'm at 5 degrees or less.

The question is...WTF do I do about this? Do I have to move the fridge inside? Or can I simply unplug it and keep serving beer throughout the winter? At such extreme temperatures, will my kegs and beer and lines freeze?

Thanks.

This is my yard 4 months out of the year..it's pretty intense -

5382212731_401bf79a13_b.jpg

i wouldent leave the fridge running. you can keep the kegs in there, except some days it might be warm, and i would probably take them inside for the night if its going to be below 30F for more than a few hours

It'll be below 30F from December 1st to the end of April. So, I guess that means I should move the fridge inside? The low is 40 tonight and it's only the 2nd week in September. Another month and we'll hit below freezing.

So I guess that answers my question. I was thinking the fridge would insulate against the cold. Probably not how things work.

Hey guys. Alright, so I have a kegerator. It's a converted full-size fridge with 4 taps and a freezer section that I keep pint glasses and hops stored.

The freezer is in my enclosed porch which is basically a roof and floor and walls with 3 corners of it screened in about 4 feet tall. Hard to explain I know. here's a photo:

7055473229_aab48b87e2_b.jpg

The kegerator is where my grill was so the coils are enclosed (not exposed) but it's basically "outside" for this question. It can get rained on / feel the wind.

7365877110_379b52f87b_b.jpg

------

So, the low last year was about 30 below and that lasts for 2 weeks or so. I'm up just south of Canada at 900 Feet elevation. From October - May, it can get below freezing and for most of christmas, I'm at 5 degrees or less.

The question is...WTF do I do about this? Do I have to move the fridge inside? Or can I simply unplug it and keep serving beer throughout the winter? At such extreme temperatures, will my kegs and beer and lines freeze?

Thanks.

This is my yard 4 months out of the year..it's pretty intense -

5382212731_401bf79a13_b.jpg

Damn son, it looks like your going to have to shove your kegerator inside a Tauntaun to make it through to spring - Han Solo style.

Unplugged, I think it would be fine, maybe throw a handwarmer packet in there or rig up a lightbulb on a timer/stc-1000 . The insulation in a fridge is going to keep warmth inside as well, ever had a compressor die in a fridge full of meat? It heats up real hot as it decays.

So..maybe I just wait and see. Once we hit freezing, I'll unplug the fridge and stick my digital thermometer inside the fridge and monitor the lines. As soon as I start to see frosting, I'll have my buddy help me get the fridge inside.

I'm sure eventually I'll have the lines and kegs start to freeze but might be able to last a while before I absolutely have to move it inside. I like having the fridge in the porch. IT's a big setup.

---

Now....trying to figure out how I'm going to brew all winter. Might have to brew in full eskimo gear.

Run it like a reverse ferm chamber. Put a temp controller and small ceramic heater in there, and set it for 40 degrees or so. Unplug the fridge. You should be set.

i worried about the compressor leaving it plugged in all winter outdoors. You can always leave the fridge out but move the kegs inside, stick the keg outside for a coupld hours each night on weekends

Supposedly the freezers don't like extreme temp changes, even if they're not plugged in. I left mine outside and off for 12 months ... Wouldn't cool down when I tried to use it last summer.

Some are actually built or outdoor use, but I don't think others are meant for extreme temp changes

I've got a friend who's a refrigeration tech, I'll ask him tomorrow in class about the temps affecting the fridge (unplugged). The only problem I could see is the same issue there is with A/C compressors that the oil gets all thick and syrupy over the winter and needs a warming circuit or a hardstart kit to get going again.

Sweet thread man, I don't have any advice, but had basically the same question. I live in northern Michigan & was going to set my fridge up on my unheated but covered porch. Maybe it'll be inside in the winter. . . .hassle. . .but probably worth it.

Back