Keg won't seal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownribbon

Reaction score
I bought some used kegs from NB about a month ago, both arrived under pressure. I replaced the O-rings and when I was cleaning one in preparation for filling, I noticed it no longer held a seal. Other keg covers worked fine, so I'm guessing it's just the new O-ring that isn't pliable enough. Any thoughts as to solutions?

Keg lube from your LHBS, or in a pinch go to the hardware store plumbing section and get some silicone grease designed for faucet washers. Lube the hell out of every o-ring on your keg.

In addition to trying lube make sure you are pulling up on the lid while hitting it with the gas so it seals before you lock it down. You may have to hit it with 20 or 30 psi initially to seal it and then you can turn it down. Also on some kegs the lid seals better if you rotate the lid 180 degrees. The lid and opening both might be slightly out of shape from getting banged up and the keg lid seals better in one direction than the other. Good luck.

Been kegging for almost 20 years never needed keg lube and never bought a keg used that had any on it, Pepsi or Coke.

I have found that soaking the seal in hot water, rack beer into keg then set seal with 30 psi works for my set . Inspect seals and change them when they no longer hold pressure seals are cheap.

Back