Keg woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kephren

Reaction score
Okay.. half the brewing season shot to hell and my second batch down the garbage disposal.

At the beginning of the year, I emptied out a keg I had homebrew soda in. The soda had been there (refrigerated) for about a year. I soaked the keg in hot water, sanitized and couldn't notice any smell. I didn't have the 7/8 socket to remove the posts - big mistake.

I put my Octoberfest in that keg. Two weeks later, it had a sickening, sweet off-flavor. It was so bad, I had to toss the batch. I thought it was an infection from the keg. The bottles from that same batch tasted fine - so, no Octoberfest this year :(

I sanitized the keg again, this time overnight - (still didn't remove the posts; stupid me) and I replaced the rubber. I also replaced the beverage draft hoses. I got "food-service" hoses from home depot and put them on both of my kegs. But two days later, both beers tasted like plastic - so I trashed those hoses and put new ones on from the HBS again. I put my brittish bitter into that keg and a week later, got the same off flavor. I thought it was mild enough that I could save it. I racked the whole thing into another keg and replaced the draft hose again.

NOW - I got the socket and removed the posts. I threw out all the rubber and poppets and soaked all the metal in brew-r-ez overnight. Then I replaced all the rubber and poppets. I just racked my hopback amber into that keg and it's pressurizing now. Hopefully it will be okay.

I just tasted the bitter, and guess what - same off-flavor, only it's seemed to have grown stronger. I dumped that batch and disassembled that keg - that was my good keg. It's all soaking in brew-r-ez overnight. I guess I should replace the draft line again. This off-flavor is literally following me.

BTW, the main source of it was the original keg w/ the soda. When I removed the posts, the out post smell almost knocked me over.

Moral of the story - don't skimp on cleaning.

I'll be REALLY pissed if my hopback amber is ruined - it tastes great now

I have made about three batches of homebrew soda using extracts. My first batch was saspirilla. I figured the bottling part would be good practice for when I started homebrewing beer. I used my brand new bottling/fermenting bucket, siphon hoses, and spring loaded bottle filler that I had just bought. Everything that came into contact with the soda now has a PERMANENT smell. That was months ago and the smell still permeates from it. I had to just end up dedicating all of that stuff to soda making, and buy new stuff when I started my homebrew beer.

Dude, that really sucks about your beer. Somewhere in beer heaven the souls of those batches are resting peacefully.

Back