Keg with damaged post seat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xico

Reaction score
I work at a homebrew shop and there is a keg the owners have been using but want to sell for really cheap. That's great for me since I have been able to buy up all their old glass carboys for 10 dollars each (5's and 6.5's!) We have a small ball lock in the back that needs some cleaning but my question is with the post's seat on the keg. It looks like it was banged or bent somehow as the post's base (black rubber) is cracked. Either it's due to too much pressure inside (perhaps a prv issue that needs replacement) or external damage. I tested the prv and it has held pressure for the last number of months so there is nothing compromised in that respect. My concern is when I carbonate with it.

My question is whether or not it is safe for continued use. I don't have much money and don't mind a janky keg or two but since my sweetheart also brews and will be using it, there is no margin for risk I am willing to negotiate. Can a keg like this still maintain viability?

Do you have any pics? I have a keg with a bent post that is perfectly fine. As for the cracked rubber, my kegs are all pretty old 15+yrs and most of them have cracked rubber in one place or another. When I got my keg with the bent post it came pressurized so I knew it would hold pressure. Worst case I guess is the post flies off and you have beer all over the place...

I also have a keg with a cock-eyed post but fortunately the weld line wasn't breached so it works as well as my more "mint" kegs.

If a keg holds pressure I wouldn't think twice about using it for dispensing, and with a spunding valve that same keg should be fine as a primary fermenter...

Cheers!

I'll take a picture tomorrow. The post flying off is exactly what I'm worried about. We use a chest freezer for fermentation and carbing which means we are looking down on our kegs. 20 psi makes for a fast piece of metal.

If it did hold pressure all this time (likely 6 months) then there is no leak. I'm wondering what causes such damage. Could it happen if a prv fails? If so, should I invest in a new one?

If you want an informed response you're going to have to post a picture.
The bent post on my keg was likely due to the keg being dropped on it...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back