Keg Tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smmcdermott

Reaction score
I did a quick search and didn't find any threads on this.

I just got my stuff in for kegging and am getting ready to hook everything up. I have a long piece of both 3/16 and 1/4 ID tubing. I have also read that the length is also important. So here are my questions:

1) Does the length actually matter and if so, how long should the beer line actually be?

2) Does the length of the gas line actually matter?

Thanks!
:drunk:

Gas line length does not play into the dispending in any real manner so don't worry about that.

SERVING line however is a huge player and yes, it does matter how long it is. It needs to balance out with the carbing/dispensing pressure or you will get big glasses of foam.

Since you obvioulsy have an internet connection, I suggest you Google this and you will find out everything you need to know about keg balancing. No need go over it again here.

alright, so i am good with the gas, I just searched keg balancing and I need to know what pressure I am going to keep my keg at?

I am a little unclear on this? Don't you keep your keg on different pressure for different types of beers? What should I do then, take the average? This is my first time setting up a keg, hence all the questions. Sorry for all the questions, but this is a forum...

alright, so i am good with the gas, I just searched keg balancing and I need to know what pressure I am going to keep my keg at?

I am a little unclear on this? Don't you keep your keg on different pressure for different types of beers? What should I do then, take the average? This is my first time setting up a keg, hence all the questions. Sorry for all the questions, but this is a forum...

How many regulators do you have? If you have one, then you'll have to keep it at a pressure good for all of your kegs. I have two, so I can set my kegs at different pressures if I want.

The pressure you choose will have to do with the temperature of your kegerator, and the desired volumes of co2 in the beer. For example, my kegerator is at 39 degrees, and my perfect pressure is 11 psi for my American ales. See this chart: http://ebrew.com/primarynews/ct_carbonation_chart.htm
That's a good "all purpose" setting for me. If I have something I want more highly carbed, or lower, I can change the second regulator but I keep most of my beers right at that setting. My serving lines are 10 feet long. I started with shorter lines, but had foaming issues at times so I gradually converted all of my lines to longer ones. The only disadvantage to longer lines (if you have the room!) is a slower pour, so I recommend getting the longest ones you can reasonably fit (up to 10 feet) and then shortening only if necessary.

Yooper, thank you for that explanation.

I have a dual regulator so I can keep both kegs at different pressures. There isn't a LHBS by me and I don't feel like waiting forever to get the tubing. Does a home depot carry beverage tubing?

Back