Keg to Keg Transfer - Carbonated Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbrews

Reaction score
Hello,

I kegged a very hazy brown ale with the intent of letting it lager for a week or two then rack it into another keg (via co2 from one ball lock in to another) to leave behind a lot of the yeast and trub before I put it in the back seat for a couple hour trip to a wedding.

Without thinking about it, I went ahead and carbonated the keg and now I am realizing transferring might be more difficult than I anticipated if it foams over and I also thought I'd likely lose head retention.

Has anyone ever transferred keg to keg with a carbonated beer? Any advice on if I should try it or just knowingly bring a hazy beer that will get shook up along the trip?

Thanks

I do it all the time, you'll be fine. Just make sure the sending keg has a higher pressure than the receiving keg and pull the relief valve a bit when flow slows down.

put a co2 blanket in the empty, connect beer out to beer out and vent the receiving keg as needed.

I've done it a bunch as well. One thing to make sure is... Make sure receiving keg is completely closed (lid on).

Piece of cake. With both kegs pressurized, make a transfer line using a piece of tubing and two liquid QDs. First fill the line with beer or co2, to avoid aeration. Now connect your kegs, liquid out to liquid out. Then shut off the gas to the receiving keg. Now to get beer moving, simply release a little gas from your receiving keg's relief valve. Done! Works great. Just watch the transfer line and you'll see when the sending keg is empty.

I have to do this this weekend to a stout. Which posts get connected? Liquid to liquid I assume? This may sound like a dumb question, but I found asking the dumb question prevents making dumb mistakes.

Howiedw said:
I have to do this this weekend to I stout. Which posts get connected? Liquid to liquid I assume? This may sound like a dumb question, but I found asking the dumb question prevents making dumb mistakes.

Yes liquid out to liquid out. So the receiving keg fills from bottom up.

Latest posts

Back